331 - Still getting the job done!

Started by TJAndrews, August 05, 2019, 05:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJAndrews

Some of you may remember that I bought a 330 and 331 on eBay last fall, and after cleaning and lubing them, I bought an Ugly Stick Elite for the 331.

Well, today I finally got the chance to use the 331 on the St. Lawrence River, and I picked up this nice 18-inch smallie. Those of you who have battled a smallie in current like this will know they can give quite a tussle. This one did not disappoint, but eventually the 331 won out.

Just thought you like to see it...

TJ

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Decker

Sweet! Nice fat one!   I have a 330 that I've been using for light saltwater.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Nice catch TJ! I agree...pound for pound...nothing pulls like a big smallie or hybrid striper from current. At least where I fish that is. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

TJAndrews

The 330 can hold its own, too.

Picked up this 24-inch walleye with it a couple of hours ago. Only reason I'm not still out there is the thunderstorms on the horizon...

;)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Rivverrat

331 with out a doubt one of my favs. I'm all for catch & release most of the time. Except  when it's a legal size walleye... Jeff

TJAndrews

Quote from: Rivverrat on August 06, 2019, 09:37:38 PM
331 with out a doubt one of my favs. I'm all for catch & release most of the time. Except  when it's a legal size walleye... Jeff

He'll be filleted and joining the bass and others in the freezer, to be enjoyed this winter.

When Lent comes around, a lot of folks look for the best fish fry place. At my house, that's right in my kitchen!

Donnyboat

Thanks for showing us TJ, nothing like doing up a reel, then catch nice fish with it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

TJAndrews

After the thunderstorms passed, we went back out and this is what I caught in a little under two hours.

There's two smallies, 14 ad 16 inches, and two walleyes, 19 and 22 inches. On the NY side of the river, bass are legal at 12 inches, and walleyes at 18. That gave me my daily limit for the walleyes.

I used my original 331 to catch these, the 331 I've owned for a bit over 45 years.

Tightlines667

Nice fish!
This is making me miss freshwater fishing.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Crow

happyhooker

Not only good reels, but apparently lucky ones as well!

Frank

TJAndrews

One more, and I'll stop boring everybody.

Caught these two yesterday morning. The little one is 14 inches. The bigger one measures 19 inches, and my notoriously unreliable tackle box scale says it's a bit short of 5 pounds.

Biggest bass I've ever caught. Used my old, reliable 331 once again to catch both of these. Still my favorite reel, even after trying the other two.

BTW, the motor on the boat? A 1956 15HP Johnson, still going strong. Was a gift, 10 years ago. Set up, old, rotted rodent nest inside the cowl. Wrong size prop, worn clutch dog. No tank. Some TLC, a couple of new parts, a conversion from pressure tank to fuel pump, and it was good to go.