Compac Interceptor--light saltwater B grade spinner

Started by festus, August 05, 2019, 11:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Haven't found any good deals on Heddons, South Bends, D-A-M Quicks or Mitchells lately on ebay.  These Compac Interceptors show up cheap occaisionally, so I thought I'd see what they're all about.

This one was fairly clean other than a little grime around the a/r lever and the bail arm.

Not so clean inside, however.  Looks like it's been serviced at least once.  Somebody had left the old original brown grease and added blue grease on top of it.

That old brown grease had really set up, especially on the main gear.

These reels like many Japanese imports from that era use left handed threads to fasten the rotor.

Wonder if there's a bearing under here?

No, but a big stout brass or bronze bushing.

The pinion wasn't as nasty as the main gear, but it still needed a good cleaning.

Here's a 6 stack drag.  A couple of those washers remind me of the same material used in some of the D-A-M Quick drags.

The bail was working fine, so I left it as it was.

The main housing and side plate had some stubborn old grease that reminded me of candle wax.

Took quite a bit of scrubbing, but it got clean.

Since whoever serviced it last used blue grease, I decided to use Penn.

As most other Japanese imports, the handle knob doesn't screw off, but a dose of oil took care of the squeaking.

These reels weigh 16.5 oz on my scale without line.  I have no idea what line capacity could be, but the diameter and depth of the spool is almost identical to a Mitchell 306.  It reminds me on the inside of some of the bigger Heddons and South Bends. The drag seems ok, the reel is a little noisy, but that's expected in an old reel without bearings probably made in the 1960s. 12 to 15 lb test mono would be ideal for this reel.  Wouldn't be afraid to use this in saltwater because it can be taken apart, cleaned, re-lubed, and reassembled in a few minutes.  It can probably handle fish from 5 lb. to 12 lb. fairly well, but wouldn't want to go targeting big stripers or cats with it.

Gfish

Cool. Looks alot tougher on the innerds than you'ed think from lookin at the outside. I do like them bushings. People here talk about throw-away spinners. Insteda buyin mostly plastic new stuff, how about a gaggle of used B spinners?
Gives me an idea; I've had about 3 guys, sittin by the waterside tryin to repair their broken reels, ask me about usin 1 of the 5 I always have in my car. Of course I recoil at the notion, having invested alota time & $ on my reels, but then feel guilty about bein the "tight, non-local haole". I have yet to say the obvious thing: "Dude, you didn't check your stuff before you came down here!". Maybe I can get some cheap B's offa da-bay and score points with somea the local guys...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

Looks like a pretty tough little reel, Festus...thanks for posting !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

That big main with a gazillion teeth must be fast...what is the gear ratio Chester? I like the big bushing, my first look inside that reel, good post. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: mo65 on August 06, 2019, 12:09:55 AM
   That big main with a gazillion teeth must be fast...what is the gear ratio Chester? I like the big bushing, my first look inside that reel, good post. 8)
Somewhere between 3.6 to 3.8:1, Mo.

The only plastic in this reel is the handle knob and a/r lever. Even the drag knob is metal.  Only weak link l see is the handle, not the sturdiest of metals.

;1

happyhooker

As usual, festus, nice post.  A reel that heavy must be for bigger game.

Frank

Captain64-200

Nice proportions and good design , I like this grey-blue color.  Thanks
Fred from Biarritz ,

Gfish

Compac reels were imported from Japan by St Croix. Possibly another company in Toronto, Canada also imported them. 16.5oz sounds like they probably used low quality metal, but made 'em heavy duty enough to last.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

Quote from: Gfish on August 08, 2019, 07:48:10 PM
Compac reels were imported from Japan by St Croix. Possibly another company in Toronto, Canada also imported them. 16.5oz sounds like they probably used low quality metal, but made 'em heavy duty enough to last.
I also have heard that possibly Compacs were imported by St. Croix.  On top of the reel foot is printed "Omori SS." Some of the smaller Compacs are clones of the Shakespeare 2200 series.

Reels_penn4life

I've been collecting compac myself. I have a bunch. They did copy the Shakespeare 2200s. I have a compac surfrider. I'm looking for a main gear. Seller on eBay said it was smooth. But it's missing a ton of teeth on the main. And it's crumbling.
Doug O

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Reels_penn4life

Thanks. Fun to work on. Very easy to clean. Not sure of the quality. But they were made in the 60s and still around. I like the cadillacs too. Just got this noris Shakespeare today.
Doug O