right hand conversion for 285 finessa

Started by basto, August 06, 2019, 12:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

I have not been able to find a right hand oscillation arm for my 285 Finessa, so after sleeping on the problem for a while I decided to try an occilation arm from a 330 and it worked.
The arm from the 330 is ambidextrous. You just need to swap the block on the rear of the arm to the other side of the arm.
There is one more thing that is needed and that is a spool shaft from a 330, because it is milled flat on both sides where the block attaches.
The spool shaft on the 285 is round all the way.
I feel much more comfortable using the 285 now.

my 285 when it first arrived

some photos that tell the story

and the job finished.

Working on the 285 is a pleasure with the totally detachable side plates on both sides. I'm really glad DAM made the oscillation arm on the 330 ambidextrous and that I had a 330 parts reel.

Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Crow

Looks like it worked out well ! I'd be switching it the OTHER way  :D. Funny how "right", or "left" affects us so much ! I "write right", but "fish left"....but I can open my beer with EITHER hand ;D!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Yes, I fish both conventionals and spinners right hand wind. I have seen left hand bait casters, but I cannot remember seeing a lefty Alvey.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n