DAIWA SL20SH & SL30SH: Spacers

Started by Leerie18, August 07, 2019, 02:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leerie18

Pulling my hair out. Our spring is around the corner and the winter kit is starting to get packed away.

I have stripped, cleaned and serviced the three Daiwa SL SH reels that need to be stored until next winter. I did not get a chance to fish last winter, so it has been a while since I last worked on these reels.

No problem with the SL50SH, but...

Both the SL20 and SL30SH have the same internals and both have three spacers that I cannot place. The fact that this is the case for both reels, tells me I have made an error somewhere. However, all the parts on the schematic are accounted for and I do not see my surplus parts on any of the online re-build resources. I am possibly losing my faculties  ???

I have serviced these reels many times and have never had this problem before. I usually do not bother with stripping the left side plate, unless it shows signs of needing attention. But this time, the reels were entirely stripped, so I am thinking they may belong in there.
I have attached a picture of the three parts that are currently surplus (circled in red). A set of these for both the SL20 and SL30.

Any thoughts? All guidance is appreciated!

LBG addict!

Leerie18

Oh - and to add - those are definitely not yoke washers
LBG addict!

Fish-aholic

Need a better picture concentrating on the spare parts so we can help you identify where they go. ;)

What looks to be a small copper/brass washer is placed behind the left spool bearing.

Other two washers I can't tell from the picture.

Cor

The tiny round spacer may be 55 F57-5602 DRIVE SHAFT WASHER A yours may have a different number as I took any similar schematic on my computer.    It fits below the drive shaft.

The two other spacers, duno.   They may fit next to a bearing?
Cornelis

Leerie18

Thanks chaps,

I have attached a better close up of the parts.

The left side plates have their spacers in place under the bearing, as do the driveshafts. I have not departed from the schematics in any way, and no matter how often I review the pictoral and youtube tutorials available, they offer no solutions either.

Will do a complete strip-down again this evening and try figure this out. I am erring somewhere and it is frustrating as heck!

LBG addict!

Cor

I have a number of these and similar reels and serviced many for friends.   Some of my reels have more spacers/shims then on the schematics, which is not unusual and often I've removed/added some myself to solve some issue or another.

If the reels seem to work fine, go fish them as they are and you may find the problem but probably not!  ;D   Those things are nearly bomb proof, so don't worry about it. ;D
Cornelis

Fish-aholic

Cor is correct with the small solid brass shim washer and it does need to be in situ because it stops slop/play on the drive shaft.

The other washers, I see one placed below the ratchet/clicker pawl, left side plate.

;)

Leerie18

Thanks again chaps - have adopted the advice - the reels are closed up and running smooth. Have one spacer left over for each of the two reels, but won't fret over them anymore. It is not as if the reels are being cast 500 times a day and being put under immense stress in their use.

Unfortunately none of my reels get much chance to be put under immense hook-up stress anyway :D
LBG addict!