Reel Repair Kit For Long Range Trip

Started by Norcal Pescador, September 09, 2010, 11:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Jigger

Quote from: norcal pescador on June 20, 2011, 02:07:25 AM
I've scaled back my expectations of what I really need and I've got one backup reel so far. IF I get on a long-range trip, that will be my best classroom. And you're all correct, I'd rather be fishing than making some green-crusted blob work that some bozo brought to me to "have a look at".

x2

Jim

Well, just to follow up . . .
Not only did my ATD50w go for a one hour swim this winter, so did several other guy's reels!
Yeah, it was a GREAT trip.
Having everything I needed, it was simple work to open, clean/dry/check everything in 2 (yeah, someone sadly said "Jim can you do mine too?" and I did) ATD's in the galley after dinner.
Neither had any issues at that time, and mine, opened up two weeks after I got home, was still functioning perfectly. I couldn't believe that even spool bearings were fine. (That's why I use penn synthetic oil.)

I can't imagine going on a LR boat without the tools to effect repairs on reels!!

Bill B

to revive an old thread.....what do you mean when "you are not getting into a skiff again" and "your reel going swimming".....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

If you're getting spooled you have 3 choices, hope your knot holds and the fish stops,deploy a skiff and chase it or clip on a back up rig and throw it over the side. Not many boats bring skiffs like the used to since the equipment is so much better now but some do.
Do what you can with that you have where you are