Need a good jigging reel!

Started by newport, August 08, 2019, 03:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newport

Hi everyone, long time no see.

So I haven't fished as much as I would've liked to for the past few years, being busy with work and school and all that life brings to offer. Now I'm trying to get back into things (i.e., my hobby), I want to do a lot more boat and offshore stuff, specifically tuna--yellowfin, bigeye, and whatever else comes my way.

Anywho, can anyone point me in the right direction as to a good jigging reel to go with my (since I already have it and don't want to spend too much money) Okuma 6'6" Speed Jig Rod rated from 80-100lb test and 90-200 grams lure weight? Right now, I have my eyes on the Daiwa Saltiga Star drag, spooled with 80lb braid, though unsure of what size reel to get.  

Other ideas are appreciated as well. I just want opinions and options, since I've been out of the loop for sometime and rather not spend too much time doing research on a myriad of products, but instead only a few well chosen ones. One thing to note, however, is that I'm not a particularly huge fan of high gear ratios. I'd rather have torque, but I'm no expert in the offshore stuff. I figure I'd be dropping down jigs and mostly lifting and dropping my rod.

boon

Any idea what sort of jigging specifically you'll be doing? The rod sounds a bit long for a mechanical jig setup so it's probably yo-yo/speed jigging.

You do kinda need a fast-ish reel here. Narrow is nice too so you don't have to worry about line lay. A 2-speed may give you the ideal middle ground between a high speed to get the jig moving and a low speed to crank fish up, keeping in mind that many of these high-speed 2-speeds still have a relatively fast low gear, around 3:1.

Some reasonable options are:
Shimano Trinidad 16N
Shimano Talica 12 or 12II
Shimano SpeedMaster 12II
Okuma Andros 12NSii-a
Okuma Tesoro 10S
Daiwa Saltiga 35N (may be a bit small?)
Penn Fathom or Torque 40NLD
Maxel F50C
Avet HXJ Raptor

Bryan Young

Reels that would have sufficient drags for 80# and are light enough to jig that I am familiar with are:

Shimano Trinidad 40N/40
Shimano Torium 40/50
PENN Torque 40NLD2
Aver HJX Raptor

I'm sure there are a few others, but I'm familiar with these reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

newport

I appreciate the input. I like the size and look of the Saltiga 35N (I also like the Shimano Trinidad), and it looks like the JDM model has a version with a larger handle grip and the gear ratio is pretty good at 5.1. I'm thinking I'd spool it with 65lb braid, instead of 80lb. Do you guys think that's too light for tuna and other pelagics? I recall people using very small jigging reels, catching decent sized yellowfins and bigeyes on headboats, and some of them did better than bait fisherman.

As far as jigging technique, I'll likely try different methods. Whatever works, really.

I'm willing to go with a faster gear ratio, if it really is better for jigging. I just don't like how heavy an 8-12 oz jig feels with it.

sabaman1

The penn fathom 25nld lever drag single speed might be the one your looking for without breaking the bank. The reel is very smooth and powerful with high speed and good line recovery for jigging. I personally saw a 140lb bluefin caught on this reel a few years ago on a popper in San diego waters!
JIM

Bryan Young

You know, Alan caught his 93# blue fin tuna on a Torque 15LD2
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

A price range will help narrow it down.

What I have for this use is a Penn Torque TRQ40NLD2 (around $600 retail) and a Avet HXJ5/2 Raptor ($450 retail).  The Avet is cheaper and weighs a bit less, 40N 27.4 ounces, Avet HX 27 ounces.

For larger fish two speed is your friend.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Also what lb test are you looking to fish on the reel and the size are the tuna your looking to land? A rod rated for 80-100lb braid really means very little in actual pulling power.

Personally I hate braid ratings on rods because they could mean almost anything and don't give me a good feeling for what the correct lb test of mono/fluoro should be used on what rod.

boon

Quote from: newport on August 09, 2019, 02:40:53 AM
I appreciate the input. I like the size and look of the Saltiga 35N (I also like the Shimano Trinidad), and it looks like the JDM model has a version with a larger handle grip and the gear ratio is pretty good at 5.1. I'm thinking I'd spool it with 65lb braid, instead of 80lb. Do you guys think that's too light for tuna and other pelagics? I recall people using very small jigging reels, catching decent sized yellowfins and bigeyes on headboats, and some of them did better than bait fisherman.

As far as jigging technique, I'll likely try different methods. Whatever works, really.

I'm willing to go with a faster gear ratio, if it really is better for jigging. I just don't like how heavy an 8-12 oz jig feels with it.

Having looked at it harder, the 35N is probably not the reel for you. It's too small and not powerful enough; it's more of a heavy slow-pitch or light mechanical jig (up to maybe 7oz) reel. 22lb drag vs nearly 40lb from, for example, a Talica 12. 250yd of 60lb with 22lb of drag = you're going to get spooled on the first run if you get a deep take.