Accurate frame

Started by sabaman1, August 09, 2019, 01:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabaman1

I purchased an Accurate frame a while back that was supposed to fit a penn squidder 145, in trying the frame it was not the proper size.
The frame measures 2" in wide, looking at Mystic parts frame post sizes of all their reels listed I cant find any that are 2"inches. The screw pattern
seems to be of a Penn reel. Any help in what this frame would fit on would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Jim
JIM

Alto Mare

Some of the Accurate frames came with additional  drilled holes to accept a few other reels.
Does the frame have a number stamped on the back side? Can't really go with dimensions when looking for these, most go with the model number on the frame.
Here is a list on Tiburon, these would be the same as Accurate:
These are for the Squidder:
https://www.tiburonfishingreels.com/squidder

And the Senator:
https://www.tiburonfishingreels.com/senator

Model # on the left, reel size on the right.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sabaman1

Sal, there are no numbers on the frame anywhere that I can find. I left an email to accurate quite a while back and I never got any response. If I can figure out how to download a picture I'll try to post some. I'm wondering if its a frame for the older Penn International 6, but I can't seem to find any info on the frame post size of them?

Thanks Jim
JIM

Alto Mare

Jim, I won't be able to help with the 2" you've mentioned, maybe someone else could.
The squidder frame for the 145 is 2 1/8" wide from the outer edge.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sabaman1

Thanks Sal for trying to help me out, I really appreciate your taking time!
JIM

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Jim, Accurate made a mistake when they produced the 145 kits. They made them 2" wide instead of the standard 2 1/8" wide.

The only spool that will fit that frame is the spool that Accurate made to fit it, and I do not believe that they made any extra spools.  Unless someone reading this thread happens to have one gathering dust, you have two chances to find one of those spools: Slim and none. 

One other possibility: Newell Penn spools used two-piece construction, split down the middle.  Jerry Downie knows how to take one apart narrow the body and trim the shaft for you and put it all back together for you, but it would be an awful lot of work to save one frame.  I have a Newell 145 aluminum spool if you want one, but they are not cheap.  I have a Penn 145 plastic spool, which is also two piece construction, that you can have for free if you want to screw around with it yourself.

On the brighter side, your frame will make a nice paper weight. 

Good luck,

Randy

xjchad

Could he not make a 1/16" spacer for each side of the frame and use the standard 145 spool?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Alto Mare

Quote from: xjchad on August 09, 2019, 04:37:08 PM
Could he not make a 1/16" spacer for each side of the frame and use the standard 145 spool?
Absolutely, I was taking a pic for jim to give him an idea of using rings, but 10 ss washers will work just as good.

I was thinking for him to cut two rings that are not in great shape as i'm showing here

He would round off the edge by the arrow and file down the lip  so it would go over the mounting screws at the bottom.
Washers or ring would give close enough dimensions to make it work.

Of course, if you are concerned about looks, this might not be a good option for you.
The ring does slide over the frame, so,  it might not look bad

xjchad

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 09, 2019, 05:00:33 PM
Absolutely, I was taking a pic for jim to give him an idea of using rings, but 10 ss washers will work just as good.

I was thinking for him to cut two rings that are not in great shape as i'm showing here

He would round off the edge by the arrow and file down the lip  so it would go over the mounting screws at the bottom.

Of course, if you are concerned about looks, this might not be a good option for you.

Perfect Sal!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Crow

Looks like a good "fix" !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Decker

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on August 09, 2019, 04:27:27 PM
Accurate made a mistake

Then Sal comes in with a solution.  :o

Hope I don't have the misfortune to ever buy one of those.

sabaman1

Thanks for the input guys and Randy for letting me know that this one was a special cut. I really like your idea Sal, I have plenty of rings to work with. With a dremel and file that one seems like a good challenge!

Thanks Jim
JIM

xjchad

Quote from: sabaman1 on August 09, 2019, 06:08:25 PM
Thanks for the input guys and Randy for letting me know that this one was a special cut. I really like your idea Sal, I have plenty of rings to work with. With a dremel and file that one seems like a good challenge!

Thanks Jim

Be sure to keep us posted on your progress!  :)

jurelometer

Quote from: xjchad on August 09, 2019, 05:11:27 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on August 09, 2019, 05:00:33 PM

Perfect Sal!

On a side note:  is it the angle, or is the top left hole in the frame out of alignment in Sal's  photo?

Good ideas!  Are the rings the right thickness?

With a bit of fidgeting, a coping or jig saw, drill and some sandpaper,   It wouldn't be difficult for somebody to cut a nice set out of delrin if the sheet stock thickness is the same.  Delrin is really easy to work with, doesn't creep much at all, and would provide a corrosion barrier.  A local retail plastics shop should be willing to cut a small chunk to order.

Randy: Are there many of these standalone frames out there?  It would not be too tricky to make up a batch of delrin spacers.

One other idea:   If somebody has the exact measurements for the hole pattern,  I can 3D print some spacers out  of a carbon fiber/plastic blend  for Jim to try.  In the words of Henry Ford "Any color you want, as long as it is black".    ;D.   N/C

PM me if interested.

-J