I need a reality check...

Started by BrettS, August 10, 2019, 01:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrettS

So I tend to run with something that interests me and sometimes I need to be told to slow down, is this one of those times?. . I've said before on here that I'm pulling together gear for the fall redfish season in the surf here in southern GA. I haven't been active in pursuing them for 6-7 years or so. I have one rig left from my former life; an ocean master with a Daiwa sealine x30sha. I love the rod and am content to keep it. I know the reel is bullet proof, and super forgiving as far as casting is concerned, I have always liked them and had a few at one point. However, I've gotten the penn bug lately and when I'm sitting here looking at my surf tackle I just don't feel the same way about the sealine that I do the mag power and squidder. Am I ridiculous for wanting to sell the sealine and try to turn it into an upgraded squidder or a couple of stock squidders? A quick eBay search shows very few used x30sha's so I'm thinking it might sell for 80-90ish? Or no one wants them that's why they aren't there, but I can't imagine that. Let's hear some input!!! What's a guy to do? I feel obligated to disclose that I thoroughly enjoy well made machines and tools, I have a garage full of old woodworking hand tools and tend to be of the "they don't make like they used to ilk."
Catch a big one.

oc1

David Hall

I'd clean up that old combo and dial it in and get out for some evening casts. The rest of the game is just having fun with other gear that you don't need to fish with tonight, a hobby, possibly just a fun way of collecting excess baggage, which is always a good thing to have in case you ever get in trouble and your ship starts to sink you got things you can toss overboard and keep afloat.

Mark Twain said it best.
I paraphrase;
There is no worse feeling than when your ship is sinking and you got no excess baggage to throw overboard.

BrettS

Thanks oc!!! Walked right into that one...

Dave thanks for the thoughts, I think I missed the point in my rambling. I already have a few other surf rods, and I'm bait fishing so being able to vary your presentation between rods to find what is working matters. I don't care if I have all the gear in the world or have to use a stick and a string, I'm gonna have fun fishing. I was just asking if it's crazy to sell off the Daiwa to make room for a couple old penns.

On the advice from Twain, I'll take that with a grain of salt. I'm Leery of a man who speaks ill of our country's greatest gamebird!!

http://storyoftheweek.loa.org/2010/11/hunting-deceitful-turkey.html?m=1
Catch a big one.

wfjord

Keep the Daiwa, you always liked them and will regret selling it.  Check fleabay daily and the for-sale forum here for a Penn you want. A surfmaster 150 and mag 10 are worth checking out, too.

Brewcrafter

I'm going to echo everyone above - there is nothing wrong with that Sealine.  And while everyone on this forum loves new toys (guilty!) I would reinforce that since you have been "out of the game" for 6 or 7 years, it is great to have that one old reliable combo and techniques that you absolutely know works.  If you go through and change too many variables (my friends and I call it "trick of the week syndrome") you cannot be absolutely sure what to attribute you success (or worse, lack of) to.  It would be easy to get lost if you changed out your gear, had a rough day on the water, and then you end up doubting the combo.  But as long as you have that reliable baseline to go back to, then you have a better idea of where you stand.  Didn't catch fish on old reliable?  Well then something must have been going on beyond using different gear or different techniques.

BrettS

Quote from: Brewcrafter on August 10, 2019, 06:21:21 PM
"trick of the week syndrome"

I'm stealing that one, guilty as can be sometimes. I like to rationalize it by telling myself if you don't give it a shot you won't know. I like where your going with keeping a setup as a baseline/proven gear. Good input, thanks.

I have never held a surfmaster let alone cast one, am I correct in my understanding that it is basically a squidder with bushings instead of bearings, and no reverse reel function?
Catch a big one.

oc1

I have my baseline combo too.  A Curado 70 on 11' St.Croix blank.  It's the best casting combo I own, yet I almost never use it any more.

The trick of the week keeps things more interesting.
-steve

BrettS

Man if I could only use one low pro baitcaster for the rest of my time it would be an old green curado. Those things are great.
Catch a big one.

oc1

Quote from: BrettS on August 10, 2019, 09:48:02 PM
Man if I could only use one low pro baitcaster for the rest of my time it would be an old green curado. Those things are great.
You need deep pockets to buy a 50E now.  I started looking for a beater when they were about a hundred.  Still looking and now they're about one-fifty.
-steve

wfjord

I've been yearning for and looking at old and new Curados for years... and still can't quite let myself pull the trigger on it.

BrettS

Wow, guess I'm not the only one who likes em... I had a chance to buy a pile of them brand new for like 70 each back in 2006-ish when they went from green to silver. That really seems like a pretty bad missed opportunity right about now.
Catch a big one.

Ron Jones

That Diawa line are unbelievable casters, if you're comfortable with it I'd go with it.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"