Penn 209 teardown and refresh, my first reel project!

Started by Lingwendil, August 10, 2019, 02:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfjord

Back in the spring I cleaned up a 209 and a couple 309s for my next door neighbor. Never cared for the 309, although I have my dad's old burgundy one.
But I do like the 209 --might need to add one to my reel family some day :)

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 18, 2019, 04:09:05 PM
Nice job! not bad for your first reel project.
I really like these reels, but can't stand the lever line mechanism, could really be finicky at times.
I own a couple of  new sets of 9, 109 and 10, eventually I will be making something from stainless steel on my lathe to remove the LV on the ones I would use.

Great work!

Sal

I've been thinking about ways to plug the holes in the rings after removing the levelwind.  It would be nice if there was a good fix available for that.

W.

Crow

Would a thin chunk of stainless shim stock, under the ring, in that spot work ? You could "glue" it to the back side of the ring with RTV, or even super glue.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

wfjord

Quote from: Crow on August 18, 2019, 09:15:00 PM
Would a thin chunk of stainless shim stock, under the ring, in that spot work ? You could "glue" it to the back side of the ring with RTV, or even super glue.

Thanks... I've considered that. I've never used RTV and don't know anything about it other than I believe it's a type of silicone. I might need to experiment with it. Is it easily removable without buggering up anything in case I wanted to reinstall the levelwind for some reason?

I have some JB Weld Marine Epoxy that I've used successfully on fly reels in years past and it should certainly work, but probably not easily removable. I don't trust longevity the longevity as much.

I was initially thinking of some sort of plug that would snap ink, perhaps made of delrin. I've seen delrin used on musical instruments, particularly wind instruments (another of my hobbies).

oc1

Quote from: wfjord on August 18, 2019, 07:41:29 PM
I've been thinking about ways to plug the holes in the rings after removing the levelwind.  It would be nice if there was a good fix available for that.
Think of them as drain holes.  You may be able to grease the main gear from there too.
-steve

wfjord

Quote from: oc1 on August 19, 2019, 05:41:31 AM
Quote from: wfjord on August 18, 2019, 07:41:29 PM
I've been thinking about ways to plug the holes in the rings after removing the levelwind.  It would be nice if there was a good fix available for that.
Think of them as drain holes.  You may be able to grease the main gear from there too.
-steve

Well, I didn't think of that!  Easier to hose out the insides, too, but probably drain better if add a hole to the side plates.

foakes

When folks ask me about removing the L/W mechanisms on a 209 — I generally advise just picking up a decent Jigmaster.

The difference between 3.75 and 4.00 gears is not noticeable.

No open holes that way.

Just a thought —

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

wfjord

Quote from: foakes on August 19, 2019, 06:10:39 PM
When folks ask me about removing the L/W mechanisms on a 209 — I generally advise just picking up a decent Jigmaster.

The difference between 3.75 and 4.00 gears is not noticeable.

No open holes that way.

Just a thought —

Best,

Fred

Thanks. Good point.

Alto Mare

Yes as Fred has mentioned that would be a good point, but not if you're comparing drags.
The jigmaster is able to be pushed over 25lbs when well equipped.
The 209 wouldn't do better than 10 lbs with the tiny 5-155 gear and 13-155 pinion.
Of course if you're not concerned about horsepower, that would definitely do it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Lingwendil

Ready for reassembly, with minor issue. Since the crossbars have a reduced-diameter protrusion and actually stick into the sides, they won't fit into the new side ring. I'll need to ream out the holes or hunt down an old style. Not sure what to do. Maybe I'll just run the original one for now? Even with the crack it fits nice and snug.

Either way I'll get started on it tomorrow night.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Lingwendil

So much for finishing up last night  ;D

Got #2 back together. I put the original side ring on for now, until I decide how to handle the replacement part having holes too small. I really don't like drilling holes larger on Chrome parts, as they can end up flaking. This thing isn't likely to be used for anything heavy, so this will do for now. Everything fits nice and snug and doesn't flex any more than reel #1.

Love that orange handle  8)

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Lingwendil

Pics continued-

Now that these two are done, I may see if someone wants to trade me reels on the third I have, I'll get up pics soon. It's another 209 with a creme colored handle. Anybody got an extra no. 9, 10, 210, 309, or 350 that they want to get rid of?  ;D

wfjord

xjchad

Nice work on those level winds,they turned out great!

I've got a Mag 10 I'm willing to trade, but not really interested in a 209. Got anything else for trade?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Lingwendil

No, unfortunately  ;D

I'm keeping an eye out for an affordable one that's not too crusty.

xjchad

Quote from: Lingwendil on August 26, 2019, 02:31:19 PM
No, unfortunately  ;D

I'm keeping an eye out for an affordable one that's not too crusty.

If you're interested, I've got a nice condition Mag 10 you can have for the cost of shipping.
PM me your shipping info.
Husband, Father, Fisherman