Adding Drain Holes?

Started by nelz, August 10, 2019, 04:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I have a Torque 100 and one thing that has always bugged me is why didn't Penn design them with drain holes on the sideplates?

So... I've been contemplating the drastic possibility :o of actually drilling one on each side.  :o

Is this a good idea? Is it worth violating those beautiful plates? More trouble than it's worth?

Can't understand why a top of the line reel would be closed like this.  ???

Rivverrat

I'm thinking a good service, everything inside lightly coated with grease would suffice.  Others may have thoughts based on facts I'm not aware of... Jeff

oc1

I'm a firm believer in drain holes and have drilled plenty.  You cannot keep seawater out.   Might as well give it some place to drain so it does not collect and dry inside the reel.  The way you store the reel (which end/side is up) should influence the drain hole placement,
-steve

SoCalAngler

So where are all the reported issues with the TRQ 100's not having drain holes? Those reels were discontinued several years back but many are still in use today and I have yet to hear a problem with them needing more drainage. This could be a issue that I know nothing about because I have not heard anything about it. So if in fact there is reel rot/corrosion problems with these reels I think it would of been talked about here on these boards or at other sites. Maybe I just have not seen it?

Drilling into aluminum and using that reel in a saltwater environment will start corrosion where the bare aluminum comes in contact with the saltwater. This is why all aluminum parts on fishing reels are anodized, so the bare metal never comes in direct contact with water. If you do decide to drill drain holes you should protect the area somehow that was drilled.

Look at most of the older Penn Internationals, not really any drainage on those reels and many are still fished now, some 30 plus years old. Reel tuners Like Cal Sheets and many other well respected guru's never did this to reels they hotrodded. I think if there was a issue it would have become part of the services they offered, don't you?

nelz

Ok guys, so that's what I wanted, some opinions, thanks.

SoCalAngler, you make excellent points against it. I've not had any corrosion isssues on my TRQ, but then again, I barely use it, and when I do, it's not in a salt spraying environment. I only raised the question because so many top shelf reels have the holes and because I'm OCD about reel perfection. ;D

Gonna leave it as is.

Now if I could just find that elusive over-sized balanced handle that would fit this reel! Probably has to be custom made.