Abu eon 3600

Started by kahawai, August 11, 2019, 04:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kahawai

Hi, anyone know if there are there any Carbontex washers available for the Abu eon?
Dug one out from my cupboard and am tinkering around with it.

oc1

Take measurements and compare to the list at Smooth Drag.  That's an oddball reel and you may have to buy a small sheet of material from the guy in Australia and cut your own.
-steve

Robert Janssen

I have one. I have done the CF drag washer mod, and think I still have a cutting jig for them. Lemme check later.

*Edit, later:
No, not a cutting jig per se, but a jig to provide very clean, perfectly concentric washers. Size is 37 x 28 x 0.5 mm.

Ruffy

Quote from: Robert Janssen on August 11, 2019, 08:58:16 PM
I have one. I have done the CF drag washer mod, and think I still have a cutting jig for them. Lemme check later.

*Edit, later:
No, not a cutting jig per se, but a jig to provide very clean, perfectly concentric washers. Size is 37 x 28 x 0.5 mm.

Hi Robert, what are your thoughts? I just picked up a 3600 pro really cheap at a yard sale, wondering if it's worth the hassle trying to cut some myself given the very mixed reviews online.

Cheers,
Andrew

Robert Janssen

What do I think? About the reel, it is kinda cool. I like the unique planetary drive and the thinking behind it. I have the 3600 Pro as well (also a 5600 green plastic one) I am intrigued by the sort of super big introduction of these reels; the big Ta-Dah! and the marketing machine... and their utter failure; a huge flop, both marketwise and to a much smaller degree perhaps execution-wise. The Edsel of reels.

About the drag, yes... I think it is great. Huge diameter, many discs... but it really bugs me that the whole thing EXCEPT the drag washers is made of carbon fiber, so i made the CF drag for it. And yes, it is an improvement.

About the washers and the bother of making them, well...

I made a cutting tool that cuts the CF sheet to a very exact inner diameter. The outer diameter is just cut to an approximate size, and then the discs are clamped into this jig here, which is subsequently put into the lathe and the discs sanded down to a diameter exactly that of the jig, which makes...

...a very nice, tidy, clean set of washers with perfect concentricity.

The thing is, that it isn't really worth it for you to do, since by doing this little photo project I ended up with four extra CF drag washers for an Eon Pro 3600 that I have no need for.

Gimme your mailing adress.

Ruffy

Quote from: Robert Janssen on August 18, 2019, 03:36:03 PM
What do I think? About the reel, it is kinda cool. I like the unique planetary drive and the thinking behind it. I have the 3600 Pro as well (also a 5600 green plastic one) I am intrigued by the sort of super big introduction of these reels; the big Ta-Dah! and the marketing machine... and their utter failure; a huge flop, both marketwise and to a much smaller degree perhaps execution-wise. The Edsel of reels.

About the drag, yes... I think it is great. Huge diameter, many discs... but it really bugs me that the whole thing EXCEPT the drag washers is made of carbon fiber, so i made the CF drag for it. And yes, it is an improvement.

About the washers and the bother of making them, well...

I made a cutting tool that cuts the CF sheet to a very exact inner diameter. The outer diameter is just cut to an approximate size, and then the discs are clamped into this jig here, which is subsequently put into the lathe and the discs sanded down to a diameter exactly that of the jig, which makes...

...a very nice, tidy, clean set of washers with perfect concentricity.

The thing is, that it isn't really worth it for you to do, since by doing this little photo project I ended up with four extra CF drag washers for an Eon Pro 3600 that I have no need for.

Gimme your mailing adress.

Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you! I'll have to give this reel a go. Even considering this is a yard sale reel, this thing has the best free-spool of any reel I've seen, including new reels. I am guessing this is why they are so prone to birdsnests, maybe you can have too much of a good thing. I'm using Abu Black Max 3600's for all my casting, will be interesting to put them side by side once it's all cleaned up and with a carbon drag!

Thanks again,
Andrew

oc1

Quote from: Ruffy on August 18, 2019, 09:42:29 PM
this thing has the best free-spool of any reel I've seen, including new reels. I am guessing this is why they are so prone to birdsnests, maybe you can have too much of a good thing.
Andrew
There are some centrifugal brakes in there Andrew.  Just need to get them tuned into your lure weight.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewabueonpro.html
-steve

Robert Janssen

Quote...this thing has the best free-spool of any reel I've seen..

Yes, a special feature (called something special, I don't remember what)  developed in cooperation with SKF. It truly is amazing.  So of course I took it all apart to find out what makes it that way, but didn't find anything really revolutionary, aside from noticing that the spool is a bit heavy.

Quote...I'm using Abu Black Max 3600's for all my casting...

Interesting. I just went the other way, and started using an Silver Max 3600 instead. I found it a little unstable, so I just made a magnetic brake for it just before doing the Eon drag washers. The thing is, that under the left side plate there is a lot of empty space that could be used for such things. So I made an adjustable unit, with an adjusting dial that provides a wide range of effect.

Incidentally, if you palm the reel a lot, check one thing... There was a revision on the Eon Pro reels. On the left side plate, down on the underside, there can be a small locking lever. This was added to secure the left side plate, which could perhaps loosen at an unfortunate moment if pressed and turned... like in jerkbait fishing. The thing is, that even the locking lever can become lost when the reel is open.   ::)

Ruffy

Hi Robert,
I got the washers in the mail, thank you again! I got them in this morning, everything came apart and went back together very nicely. On reassembly though I haven't got much variability in drag. Fully backed off I still have considerable drag, then when tightened down (only about one full turn) I've got substantial drag. Was yours the same when you did the upgrade? If not, I will have to dive back in and see if I've done something wrong with the stack.

I understand what you mean about the left side plate. My eon does not have a locking lever and just playing around with it I've accidently cracked the side plate open multiple times. I like to palm my reels; I've previously used a baitcaster like this and nearly lost the lot after it cracked open while I was on to a longtail tuna in the harbour here. I might have to see what's involved in sourcing and installing the locking lever!

Also, were there any tricks to opening the spool up? Does the shaft come out of the spool or are they one piece as per the schematic? I took the snap ring and plate off the drive side of the spool but the shaft doesn't come out. Given how clean and corrosion free the rest of the reel was I thought it unlikely that it's corroded in but could be wrong. Just wondering ifI am missing something.

Anyway, that's enough questions for now! Thanks again for the washers!

Your pro max looks good too! They are a casting demon, I am not sure if the eon will make me pack away the black max's to be honest.

Robert Janssen

Good.
No, no change in drag tension at all.
I don't recall the details of the spool offhand. It was definitely in there though, in some intricately clever way.