Any albacore reports ??

Started by Maxed Out, August 12, 2019, 06:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Go get em Eric...hope the stars will align for the upcoming charter
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Steve-O

Haven't heard any reports from Prince of Wales Island on Albies, yet.   However there are a number of guys who will gas up the boat and head due West the 50 or so miles to get into them each fall.

A couple years back the neighbor lodge of where I go each year made the run and brought back a bunch. After being processed the carcasses ended up being dumped at the deer boneyard up the street from us.

Stinko! Don't know why they didn't toss them into the ocean like normal. Anyway, I took a pic of them and asked who caught all the tuna and got the rest of the story.

I'll be there in a week to find out first hand.

The fish are either out there and folks make the run for them or not.

Maxed Out

Hope you find em Steve

....and no worse smell than rotting tuna carcases. I dump all mine in the saltchuck and I'm certain the dungees don't mind

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

desertsalth2o

2020 Westport update...Ms Magoo 2 day. 2nd week of Aug booked since the previous Feb.  Blown out (unusual) but thanks to CV19 no shows the following week Ms Magoo had a couple openings.  Plugged the boat on that one, pleasant expert crew.  Dave McGowan/owner-skipper holds the long standing reputation for being among the best if not the best Albi boat in Westport. He's getting up there, so don't think about the Magoo for too many years to come.
The 2 day trips out of Westport are 10 passenger affairs, bring your meals and sleeping bag (one that doesn't slide on vinyl upholstery is a plus).  First night's sleep is a little rough, I bring rum. Second night rock to sleep like a baby.
2 day trips you can count on +300# each, flylining live anchovy; Six Packs shoot out and back the same day and run 4-8 fish each, trolling. 16-18# fish.  Round numbers each are the same price.  All Westport boats provide rods and tackle, bringing your own is allowed. :)

Gfish

Great information desertsalth2o! Could I shorten it to "ds2o"? What kinda rig is good for flylining a live baitfish?

Don't forget that distinctive metal can taste to Starkist et. al., tuna. Never new that about changing out the natural oils in the canned stuff. No wonder Ted's taste so dam good. Always liked the "Dolphin Safe" labels on the commercial stuff.
Most purse seined Tuna are Yellowfin bound for The high dollar Japanese market and some Skipjack. Canned Albacore are labled "chunk white" tuna and I think the skippies are the "chunk dark" tuna.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

desertsalth2o

Gfish, sure shorten it anyway you like.  Seri is trying to shorten your name to Fish (LMAO). 

Sorry about the year delay...Going out on MsMagoo in a couple weeks so I looked in today for anything along the line of Avet service tips.

I've used an MXL without complaint several times. JX would be about perfect (Accurate 500 size, or your fav in the same size/weight range, mfg of choice).  80# braid (not as sharp on my fingers) and 25-30# clear fluro 25-30 yds top usually lasts the 2 day trip.  I take a couple rods, Seekers, 6-1/2' and a 8' ish deckhand.  Deckhand, same reel and use it to cast jigs to show off when it's WFO and as a backup.  I think I wound up with counterfeit fluro one year and it instantly bird nests on the first hookup.  Very glad to have the backup that year, spooled same crap but let it take the first run with just a touch of drag to keep from burning my thumb and it kept the birdnest from forming.  After 3 fish or so fluro behaved much better.  Had to cut it off the first reel.  Threw the dam stuff away when I got home.  Fluro was way too cheap, could have known better but it was a good packaging counterfeit.
Can be pretty caviler here, WA charters are outfitted with gear for all, own gear optional so I can blow both my rods and not miss fish.  Seekers are 10-15 yr old mint supers, when Ron Penny ran the place and titanium guides were sooo sexy.  #2 3x strong Mustad is the hook most often provided (I've forgotten the number) but I was personally talked into using #2 or #3 Owner ringed flyliners a few years back and still use them.  When the chovies get petered out the blue sharks take them so any help I can give keeping them lively gives me an edge.  Academic thrill really, since the catch is evenly divided when the boat is filled, as it will be.  Action is too fast for deckhands to mark the fish if they wanted to. I'll try to remember to post a catch report in a couple weeks.