Shimano TLD 15 main and pinion replacement gears don't fit

Started by retiredandfishing, December 10, 2019, 11:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Working on a TLD 15, appears to be an older one.  Needs a new main and pinion gear.  Got them from Shimano and found the pinion gear was too large to fit into the pinion guard.  Measured them and found the new pinion gear was slightly larger and the new main gear slightly smaller than what came out of the reel.  Shimano says the ones they sent me are the correct parts.  The schematic I looked at was labelled TLD 15 2003.  Wondering if there are pre 2003 models of which possibly I have one, which could be a slightly different set up.  Anyone have any knowledge of this problem?

Thank you, Steve

redsetta

Hi Steve,
The main gear/pinion part numbers changed from 6-2109-09000S/7-1706-09000S to TLD0197/0198 between the early (circa 1987) and later models, so it would appear yours is one of the former.
Hope that helps.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

retiredandfishing

Quote from: retiredandfishing on December 10, 2019, 11:58:22 PM
Working on a TLD 15, appears to be an older one.  Needs a new main and pinion gear.  Got them from Shimano and found the pinion gear was too large to fit into the pinion guard.  Measured them and found the new pinion gear was slightly larger and the new main gear slightly smaller than what came out of the reel.  Shimano says the ones they sent me are the correct parts.  The schematic I looked at was labelled TLD 15 2003.  Wondering if there are pre 2003 models of which possibly I have one, which could be a slightly different set up.  Anyone have any knowledge of this problem?

Thank you, Steve

Forgot.   The pinion gear is to large to fit into the pinion guard.  The pinion bearing will fit into the pinion bearing cup though.  Wondering if I should just try and swap out the pinion guard with a newer one and be done with it.  

Steve

alantani

there was a whole series of changes with these reels.  you will need the later model parts that match......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RowdyW

Another reason to stay with Penn reels.  ;D         Rudy

retiredandfishing

Quote from: alantani on December 11, 2019, 03:28:42 AM
there was a whole series of changes with these reels.  you will need the later model parts that match......   :-\

Thanks Alan.

Steve

retiredandfishing

Quote from: redsetta on December 11, 2019, 12:27:39 AM
Hi Steve,
The main gear/pinion part numbers changed from 6-2109-09000S/7-1706-09000S to TLD0197/0198 between the early (circa 1987) and later models, so it would appear yours is one of the former.
Hope that helps.
Cheers, Justin

That may be what I need.  Thank you Justin.  Shimano is saying they know of no others parts available other than what they show currently.  I am going to call them with this new information you have provided and see what they say.  If I can't get other parts that fit, I think the next step might be to keep the new parts and buy a new Pinion guard.  That is the part the new pinion gear is to large to fit in to.  My only concern is the fit of the new pinion guard.  Thanks again.  Steve

retiredandfishing

Quote from: redsetta on December 11, 2019, 12:27:39 AM
Hi Steve,
Hope that helps.
Cheers, Justin

FYI for other's with the same problem.  Like Alan says these reels have been through a lot of changes and go back a long way's. The reel I am working on is pre 2003.  The current iteration of this reel is as of 2003.  Many parts of changed.  The main gear, pinion gear, pinion gear guard and main shaft have changed as well as I'm sure there are other changes. It is quite spendy to rework these reels I found, because I could find no source for the older parts. Shimano no longer carries them.  I did find an old schematic and sent that to Shimano. But, that did not help.

So my customer has decided not to have me rebuild this reel.  If I had a source for the older parts it might be worth it as I would not have retro fit associated parts.  Thanks for the help all.    Steve