New Wahoo reel?

Started by conchydong, August 12, 2019, 12:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conchydong

Looks like Shimano has redeveloped the Speedmaster and made it a lever drag. If it casts good it might be a decent Wahoo reel. Looks like they are trying to compete with the Fathoms.

https://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-spm16ii-speedmaster-ii-lever-drag-reel.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI07r3-6v84wIVA-DICh2pIQq3EAQYASABEgIZH_D_BwE

Keta

The price isn't all that bad.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

I think they're just a lower line of reels under the Talicas to hit a price point. People who don't to spend the money for a Talica end up buying an Avet, Daiwa, Okuma, etc.  All the other major brands have multiple lines of 2-speeds.  Daiwa has 2, Okuma has 3, Avet has 3, Accurate has 4. Not counting the heavy trolling/long range reels.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

boon

In the next couple of months I'm going to get my hands on one and pull it to bits. I have a Talica 12II here so it will be interesting to compare them side by side.
They have the same drag rating as the Talica, same capacity, and the exact same ratio. I wonder if they're doing something similar to Okuma, where (as I understand it) the gears that don't quite meet the standard for the Andros are used in the Metaloid.

Interestingly I note that where the TAC12II is listed as having 6 bearings, the Speedmaster is listed as having "4+1" which in Shimano's language means it should have an instant anti-reverse bearing on the drive shaft, which the Talica is missing.
Also if we infer that the design outright requires having 4 bearings along the spool shaft (left and right spool bearing, drag plate bearing, pinion bearing) we can assume that the main shaft will only have the AR bearing and presumably a bushing, and that the handle will run on a bushing as well.

It is a long overdue bit of gear from Shimano. There was a massive chasm between the Talica and the next reel down, being the Tyrnos, which is a bit of an unsophisticated brick compared to the Talica.

pjstevko

Quote from: boon on August 12, 2019, 09:52:55 PM
In the next couple of months I'm going to get my hands on one and pull it to bits. I have a Talica 12II here so it will be interesting to compare them side by side.
They have the same drag rating as the Talica, same capacity, and the exact same ratio. I wonder if they're doing something similar to Okuma, where (as I understand it) the gears that don't quite meet the standard for the Andros are used in the Metaloid.

Interestingly I note that where the TAC12II is listed as having 6 bearings, the Speedmaster is listed as having "4+1" which in Shimano's language means it should have an instant anti-reverse bearing on the drive shaft, which the Talica is missing.
Also if we infer that the design outright requires having 4 bearings along the spool shaft (left and right spool bearing, drag plate bearing, pinion bearing) we can assume that the main shaft will only have the AR bearing and presumably a bushing, and that the handle will run on a bushing as well.

It is a long overdue bit of gear from Shimano. There was a massive chasm between the Talica and the next reel down, being the Tyrnos, which is a bit of an unsophisticated brick compared to the Talica.

Boon did you ever get one to mess around with? I'm curious what you thoughts are....

RowdyW

Parts availability is probably going to be a short road compared to Penn.         Rudy

Benni3

boon

Quote from: pjstevko on November 20, 2019, 09:48:50 PM
Quote from: boon on August 12, 2019, 09:52:55 PM

Boon did you ever get one to mess around with? I'm curious what you thoughts are....

I've held one and spun it, haven't fished one or pulled it to bits yet.

It is a cheap Talica, that much is very obvious. As the fish feels things, it will perform exactly the same, drag-wise etc.
Certain elements of it are clearly there to save cost. The frame and sideplate are painted, rather than the really nice anodizing on the Talica. The fit and finish is MILES behind the Talica.
The drag lever does not contain a separate cam, it is integrated into the (plastic) lever instead. To change the drag curve, you swap the whole lever over. The reel comes with a lever that is tuned for mono or light braid in the box (more progressive drag slope). It also uses the more simple push-button to go up to Sunset/full, rather than the Talica's subtle detent at Strike as you push the drag lever forward.

The initial 4+1 bearings turned out to be misleading, there is no instant anti-reverse, it's a silent dog setup like the 2-speed Talicas have.

The shift housing is plastic and slightly less "positive" shifting gears to the Talica. Holding one in my hand and spinning it, it feels basically exactly the same as a Talica 12II in terms of smoothness and gear feeling. I suspect the Talica will feel better under load due to more bearings.

My local shop doesn't know how to feel about them. They are very decent reels and fill a gap in Shimano's range, however, they make it harder to sell Talica II's in 12 and 16 sizes because to the layperson there are not significant differences.