New Member with Questions!

Started by Amigorick, August 13, 2019, 03:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

Welcome Amigorick!  I will sound like a broken record, but there are many folks on this forum with far better eyes and knowledge than I  that can give you good information on the sometimes vague science of Penn dating.  But sometimes there are other clues that "can" help - the two big ones are:
1. You say you "acquired them", but how and from whom?  Reason I ask is that a few of my reels that I have been given by friends are from their parents estates, with many times these parents being retired military of a certain age.  If you know the history or provenance of who had the reel, many times you can make assumptions about time frames.
2.  I see they are mounted on rods.  Again, not a "be all-end all" but if you know that you are getting these from a known source like an estate, in many situations you can reasonably safely assume that the rod is going to be from roughly the same time frame, and there are folks on this forum that know every bit as much about rod dating as there are folks for reel dating. 
None of this is "Antiques Road Show" type tech (I love that show BTW) but it can help. 
And welcome again from the Inland Empire!

Amigorick

I bought both on Ebay. Paid $32 for one and $35 for the other. Both sellers
said they knew nothing about where the reels came from. The 114H was from
an Estate sale, but the seller said they bought it over a year ago and couldn't
remember anything about whose estate it was.  Both rods did not come with
the reels, they were given to me by a guy at work that has a bunch of them.
I seem to recall that I read somewhere that on the inside of the side plates,
there might be a number and that certain digits in that number determined the
year. I have no idea if that is true or not.

Alto Mare

Welcome Rick!
You did really good, you got one 50% off and the other free.

Enjoy your stay.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Amigorick

Well, now I am confused. I replaced the drag washers in the Penn 6/0 I have. It is the one in the pictures with the black side plates.
I got the Ht-100 SP set from Mystic Reels. When I was taking the drag apart, I put everything in the order it came out.  When I reassembled
it I noticed that there was a part that was different than what I had seen before.  After the last of the drag washers, there is a washer type
piece with a raised lip. It is not shown on the Penn 114 parts Diagram. I did find it on a Penn 115 Diagram. It is part # 136 and is called a "Pressure Plate".
Is it common for this part to be on a 114 too? The drag works and fits together perfectly.

RowdyW

That washer also had a felt washer under it and is placed on the top of the drag stack with the felt washer first and the metal washer slipped into it. Both parts are now obsolete.          Rudy

Bill B

Welcome brother.....need a handle side picture of the black 6/0, but so far it is a non- numbered 6/0, and as John stated pretty old, I would call it pre-war (WW II). Possibly a second generation, the handle side picture will tell us better.  When looking at that side, if the gear box is at 5 o'clock it's a first generation, 7 o'clock makes it a second generation.  The 114H started in the mid 60's and possibly a mid 60's model.  The Special Senators are harder to date...hell most Penns are hard to date.....Without the box or catalogue a definite date cannot be made....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

RedSnook

Does anyone know how to break this thing down replace bearings and clean. I have it apart the left side done ( bearing replaced and clean) now I can't the spool separated from the right side gold case and gears between the spool and right golf casing. All the screws are off the crank is off the tensioner is off I can see the bearing under the tensioner but I can't get it out. And I can't get the spool to release from whatever is holding it. Feels like I'm gonna break it. I also have the button engaged. Their isn't anything on this reel on utube only similar models that do not come apart like mine. Please help !

Donnyboat

The 6/0 as Bill said, a photo of the handle side plate, ( front plate ) square on will tell us more, it has a 3 piece spool, that dates it as an early model,
      question 2- sounds like the pinion is rusted to the spool, try to get some acetone & auto transmission fluid 50/50 mix onto the spool shaft, for a day or two, then maybe, place it in the freeze for some time, then try to ease it of with a couple of screw driver opersate each other, not to much presser, just keep adding the fluid, also maybe, a little heat from a heat gun, will transfer the heat to the spool shaft, I presume you have the spool & pinion out of the reel, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

sorry Redsnook, I thought we were still talking 114H & 114, 6/0, what make & model is your reel, after reading it again, maybe your talking another make, besides this post, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

Did you try to remove the spool before you removed the four bridge screws from the other side?
-steve