New Member with Questions!

Started by Amigorick, August 13, 2019, 03:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amigorick

I have a few Penn Reels i recently acquired and have now become fascinated with
these simple yet awesome reels.  I am trying to approximate the age of two of them;.
I have two 114's, one being a 114H. I have looked all over them for a number that
would supply information on their date of manufacture, with no luck. I have read that
there are numbers on the inside of the bakelite sides but haven't looked yet. I have also
read that the handle colors and styles can provide info on aging them.  I have attached
some photo's of the two reels. Any information would be appreciated !!
The pics are number Reel 1 (114) and Reel 2 (114H)

alantani

i'm not the guy to answer this question, but i would like to say welcome!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Amigorick

Thanks!! I am excited to read through all of the knowledge I have already witnessed
on this site !! I recently ordered one of the Penn Books you wrote. Waiting for it to come
in the mail !!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on August 13, 2019, 03:44:06 PM

Me too.

It looks like the handle side sideplate is not the same vintage as the reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Crow

I'll second the "Welcome !".....and I can't help you with dating them, either, but there will be somebody along, shortly, that can !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Amigorick

Quote from: Keta on August 13, 2019, 03:48:52 PM
Quote from: alantani on August 13, 2019, 03:44:06 PM

Me too.

It looks like the handle side sideplate is not the same vintage as the reel.

On which reel? One has black Side plates (114) and I didn't get a great pic of either side and
the other has maroon side plates (114H).

Keta

Ah, more than one reel, disregard.  My old eyes and computer caused me to see black sideplates on the first and last photos, only black on the first one.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

The maroon plated H model is probably from the mid to late 60's if everything is original. Not enough info for the 6/0.       Rudy

thorhammer

Couple of keys on the 114: that spool, and the counterbalanced green knob handle, date it as pretty dang old and in good shape for a vintage I would place at least in the 50's, and maybe older....can you advise if you see any numbers on any of the parts- handle blade, reel stand, drag star, that you can make out without taking the thing apart.

Someone will be along with a much keener eye than me for these things- Mike, Dom, Ted, Chris and others....

Amigorick

Thanks to all of you for your help !!
I will look for some numbers when I get home from work this evening!

Keta

You do know "work" is a four letter word and gets in the way of fishing, but income pays for fishing.

Mark Twain

Amigorick

It is surely a necessary evil !!! It gets in the way of a lot of things !!! :)

happyhooker

Greetings, Amigorick, from Minnesota.

Frank

Amigorick

bhale1

welcome aboard,
sorry, cant help with dating the reels, but the green knob is awesome....
Brett, from So. AZ
Cheers