Fishing in New Zealand

Started by alantani, August 14, 2019, 03:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

not  sure how this would work, or if i could ever get a hall pass for this one, but i'm thinking about fishing new zealand.  i spoke to rick in washington this afternoon.  he's done a half dozen of these trips.  it's a 12 hour flight out, a 14 hour flight back, you chase trophy yellowtail, all catch and release, and you use spinning gear.  well, i'm down for all of this except the spinning gear.  hopefully rick will get registered here and post some info and photos of his adventures.  it's sounds really interesting.  and with the current exchange rate, the cost might be pretty reasonable. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

yeah, so rick says that you can do a trip like this with 6 days of fishing for a total of $3,000, airfare included!

rogan

Alan,   I would be interested in this trip!  Rich

alantani

i just sent a email to rick.  hopefully he will get in here and tell us more about it!

ldoret94

Keta

Good price, I need to find a full time job.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cor

They mostly Jig those 100lb Yellowtail (Kingies) and right up north at 3 Kings Island is a favourite place in NZ.    Both Oz and NZ have stunning fishing, much better then where I am and a much greater variety of fish.    I have fished Western Australia from shore on two occasions.    I would no longer go there as it is just too hard for me now.     In many ways similar to the way I used to fish for Yellowtail in my younger days, often high cliffs, rope gaffing, dangerous swells and all round very robust and also weather dependent.  You need to choose your time well!    On one trip to WA it was 40 degrees for a whole week and the only aircon was in the car, so we ended up driving up and down the coast to stay cool.

My son lives in Auckland, but I've never had the opportunity to fish there.

http://enchanter.co.nz/destinations/three-kings/

I am sure the boat fishing in both NZ and OZ will be as good, google it and you will find the charter operators.
Cornelis

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Midway Tommy

Hope the flight is on a bedded cargo plane. 14 hours is an awful long time to be cooped up in a chair.  ::) Sounds like a fun trip and maybe you'll find the light, Alan, using them there spinners!  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

redsetta

It'd be great to see you down here Alan and even better to chase some kings together!
Keep in touch with planning - would love to join ya for some of it.
Dinner at ours at the very least!
All the best mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

the rockfish ninja

I'm going to keep my eye on this thread, NZ has always been my #1 bucket list destination.

Alan, I feel you on the spinning gear, Florida and NZ/Australia are the two places I've seen spinning gear used on boats much. From what I can see of it, they use them because they do a bit of casting of poppers & lures in between the jigging for snappers and kingfish (yellowtail).

There are tons of great vids on youtube about what they do out there, and not everybody down there avoids conventionals.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/7tTQ05O7SE0
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

redsetta

You'll see plenty of Jigging Masters, Oceas, Maxels, Accurates etc down here too...
JM is my personal go-to
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

MarkT

I'd be interested too depending on the dates.  The longest 2 weeks of my life was a 14 hour flight from Moscow to LA!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Cor

Quote from: MarkT on August 17, 2019, 02:54:54 AM
I'd be interested too depending on the dates.  The longest 2 weeks of my life was a 14 hour flight from Moscow to LA!
Went to Auckland from Cape Town 2 year ago, 9 hours to Doha, then 2 hours break and on to Auckland 17 hrs non stop.   Until very recently the longest the planes could fly.

I've never been jet lagged before, but that time I nearly fell asleep over dinner twice, cup just about dropped from my hand ;D
Cornelis