Picked up g235 reel broken foot

Started by Fishgolfman, August 14, 2019, 04:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

Is there after market way to secure reel to casting reel or do I have to replace base? Have to find one

Newell Nut

Vintage Offshore Tackle

If you are only fishing 30 lb. line or less, you would probably be OK if your rod clamp fits your rod and you put in on good and tight.

Hamachi

Tiburon frame is the way to go. Aftermarket aluminum, bolts right up, no modification.

I have a stock base if you want to go that route. It's off of a second generation "P" reel. It's an all graphite base, like a "G" series, which I've been told that no way it came from the factory that way. Also the rod clamps will vary in size, even from the same number reel.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Hamachi

Fishgolfman

What tiburon frame works with 235? Went to tiburon web site. No mention of one frame compatible

Hamachi

Looks like it's discontinued. You're looking for n235. You could get a 220 frame and spool and convert your reel to a narrow. I would call them to see if they have any leftover n235 if that's what you want.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

If you would like to convert to 220 width, I have a new silver 220 Tiburon frame and rod clamp kit and a Newell graphite spool for $110 plus $5.53 for shipping by USPS first class parcel with tracking. 

I don't think that you need to spend the money if your rod clamp fits snugly. Why don't you try it and see if the reel moves?

Fishgolfman

Thanks for suggestions. Will try options first of snugging on rod with clamp. Don't want to narrow as it's putting too many $ in an older reel. But I will keep it in mind if my 220m begins to fail and crack.

vilters

the clamp alone should be more than strong enough to secure the reel. i would just find the correct base and fix it. i believe bases from newell 338, or penn 500 jigmaster will also fit. aluminum base is stronger, won't break like graphite.

Hamachi