Humminbird side imaging screenshots

Started by Three se7ens, September 23, 2019, 10:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

There was some interest in one of the screenshots I had posted from my Humminbird Helix 5 SI, so I figured Id start a post for some of my more interesting screenshots.  

I fish pretty much exclusively from a kayak these days, and side imaging has become an important tool for me for finding fish as well as structure.  Im still no expert, but certainly getting better at adjusting the settings to get good returns and being able to understand what all its showing me.  

Here are some from my numerous (unsuccessful so far) attempts at tarpon this summer.  On the last two, you can see the tarpon (bright returns), and a big school of bait.

Three se7ens

Few more tarpon and bait shots.  Notice the shadows from the tarpon, you can use the distance between the return and the shadow to judge how high the fish is in the water column. 

cwillis85

I have been interested in upgrading from my Dragonfly but I have a 2010 pro angler 14 with no transducer pocket, yet alone the massive one you need for the side imaging setups. These images make it look awfully temping though.
Chris

Three se7ens

Quote from: cwillis85 on September 23, 2019, 11:39:22 PM
I have been interested in upgrading from my Dragonfly but I have a 2010 pro angler 14 with no transducer pocket, yet alone the massive one you need for the side imaging setups. These images make it look awfully temping though.

The Humminbird SI transducers are very short but wide.  Nothing like the lowrance/garmin ones.   Still tricky on an older PA though.  You could always do a track mount transducer arm, or set up something that mounts to the rear handle.

My 2019 Outback has a retractable transducer mount, and its fantastic.  Deployed, its the lowest point on the yak.  But if can retract the transducer up into the hull for landing/etc.

Three se7ens

Couple more:  marking fish on a hard sand bottom:  this falls under "you'd have to be familiar with the area to notice."  I know there are very few features on the bottom here, so returns that arent normally there are often fish.  In the second one, the fish are circled, and the bright return in the top right is an oyster bar. 

Last one is trees.  The ones near me are submerged, but along the outer edges they come all the way out of the water. 

oc1

This is cool.  

Does the 50 LEFT and 50 RIGHT in the upper corners mean the depth of field or outer edge of the screen is fifty feet from the boat?

In photos 1 and 2, what makes the wavey lines running parallel to the boat?  Are you in a channel? 

It's difficult to wrap my brain around it.  I'm still impressed that you can pass by fish that are so close.

-steve

Three se7ens

Quote from: oc1 on September 24, 2019, 04:34:47 AM
This is cool.  

Does the 50 LEFT and 50 RIGHT in the upper corners mean the depth of field or outer edge of the screen is fifty feet from the boat?

In photos 1 and 2, what makes the wavey lines running parallel to the boat?  Are you in a channel? 

It's difficult to wrap my brain around it.  I'm still impressed that you can pass by fish that are so close.

-steve

Yes, those numbers are the range on either side.  It can be adjusted all the way out to 300 or 400 feet per side, depending on model. 

First post, second picture:  the black in the middle is the water column, looking straight down.  Where the bottom starts is directly under the boat, and then as you move out towards the edge of the screen, its reading along the bottom away from you.  The brightness of the return indicates hardness(oysters show up as brighter than soft mud).  Fish will have a bright return, and a shadow depending on where they are.  The closer the shadow is to the bright return, the closer the fish is to the bottom.  In this picture, the wave line just to the right of center is a fish thats swimming along with me, staying in the beam as Im moving.  The other two are tarpon also, but not moving with me at the time. 

In the third picture, you can clearly see a big fish(tarpon) in the water column, and the shadow of it on the left.  The cloudy areas on the left and right are a school of bait. 

This may help you visualize it better:  https://www.humminbird.com/learn/imaging/side-imaging