Smoothdrag bearings

Started by Caracal, January 12, 2022, 04:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caracal

Do the bearings from Smoothdrag require any oil or grease? Also are they better than the stock Shimano bearing in a TLD15 and TLD 20?

JasonGotaProblem

I've never bought a bearing and trusted the lubrication it came with from factory. I always flush it out and use TSI. Regardless where it's from or what kind of bearing it is. That approach has never steered me wrong.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Dominick

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on January 12, 2022, 04:42:38 PM
I've never bought a bearing and trusted the lubrication it came with from factory. I always flush it out and use TSI. Regardless where it's from or what kind of bearing it is. That approach has never steered me wrong.

Smart move.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Problems and issues are going to occur with anything mechanical.  Trains, planes, boats, cars, trucks, appliances, equipment, and fishing reels.

To reduce the failures and increase the performance of any type of machine — requires us to take measures to care for our equipment.

A big part of this, at least for me — is to not rely upon other's claims that everything is ready to go — and does not need anything else.

The few times I have had major failures on trailers, wheels, lug nuts, vehicles, air pressure in tires, lubrication in motors — without exception — are the times I got lazy and relied on other's who assured me all was in order.  So I always have the tools, knowledge, and make the time — to not rely on others.  I always trust what folks say — then verify it for myself.

For vehicles and household issues — tools, lug wrench, air compressor on board, grease gun, basic tools, etc.

For reels — fully equipped benches with all necessary tools and lubes.  Plus a Reel Repair Go-Bag for trips full of tools, parts, etc.

The fact is — the 300 to 400 regular contributors on Alan's site — have at least as much — and generally vastly more professional knowledge and know-how than anyone else in the world — when it comes to fishing reel service, setup, repair, and function.

The point is — always evacuate the grease and inject new lube (grease, oil, or a mix) into every bearing — no exceptions = no problems.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

just one small semantic correction, Fred  ;D
you evacuate the container -- not, the contents
i.e., bearing or gear-case gets evacuated -- not, grease; burning building -- not, people; etc.
(well, you could evacuate people, but that involves ipecac or disemboweling  :o )

handi2

When you order from Smooth Drag she will designate which bearings are dry, oiled, or greased. She usually sends spool bearings dry.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Caracal on January 12, 2022, 04:35:53 PM
Do the bearings from Smoothdrag require any oil or grease? Also are they better than the stock Shimano bearing in a TLD15 and TLD 20?

Just like any bearings in reels, spool bearings should be oiled (I flush mine first) and all others get packed with grease. Dawns bearings should be about the same as Shimano bearings.

I measure any bearings I need and source them from a local bearing supplier close to me. Really no need IMO to go over a ABEC rating of 5 in reels.

Most bearings from manufactures come only lightly packed with grease, so they don't start rusting while sitting on the shelve before being sold to the end user

oldmanjoe

My 2 cents , Any bearing you use needs to be cleaned and greased or oil to Your specific use ..
    I grease my bearing to be used in saltwater .      I don`t need bearing speed .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

jrhall86

Quote from: Caracal on January 12, 2022, 04:35:53 PM

What do we think about the second part of the question? I'm curious about that too as we troll with TLD 25s and TLD 50LRSAs.

foakes

Stock Shimano bearings are very good bearings — as long as they are properly lubed — they hold up and perform well.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

smoothdrag bearings are fine.  always lube all bearings before installation.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jrhall86

Could the same be said for the drag washers that come in them?

alantani

the carbontex drag washers from smoothdrag.com are always dry for shipping.  you have to buy some cal's grease and then grease them yourself. 

jrhall86

Apologies Alan, I meant in regards to them being better than stock. I should have been more specific.

alantani

oh, they should all be the same!!!! ;D