Spool pin removal

Started by Reel Newbie, August 09, 2019, 11:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Newbie

Just about finished with my tear down of the quantum us300, but there is a spool pin securing one of the bearings so I can't get to cleaning it.  The bearing feels a little stiff, so I'd like to remove it and flush it with some brake cleaner and relube. Problem is, I don't have a spool pin remover, and I don't have the tools to make one. Any suggestions?

reel man

You might contact Quantum to see if they have the pin tool for sale.

akfish

Smooth Drag sells a tool designed for removing spool pins. I use mine all the time.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Reel Newbie

Is there any way to do it without a specialty tool?

reel man

Why not contact a reel repair shop and let them fix your prob

chockpish

This is what I did! I had an old pair of linesman pliers! I removed the rubber, plastic handle! Then I heated up one end of the jaws to remove the temper! Then I put the handle back on, this way it doesn't melt when you heat the jaw of the pliers! Then I drilled a 1/8 hole on the side of the jaw! Then I cut some rubber tubing and placed it on the jaws, that way it doesn't mar the shaft of the spool! The hole on the jaws lets you push out or install the spool bearing pin! Don't forget to cut corresponding holes in the rubber tubing for the pin to go through!

Hope this helps!
Tight lines, be safe, fish hard!
Mike
Tight lines, be safe, fish hsard!

Keta

Quote from: Reel Newbie on August 10, 2019, 07:16:08 PM
Is there any way to do it without a specialty tool?

There are ways but it is easy to bend the spool shaft.  You can make a tool out of a pair of Vicegrips.  If you plan on working on reels for a long time I would suggest buying a pin pusher.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

I have removed one of the shields, flushed the bearing's and lubed them without taking the spool pin out. I don't know the reel your working on but I have done it with some tiny bearings. It just matters if you have enough room in there to get the shield off. If you can then you just cut it on one side and pry it off around the spool pin once it is out of the bearing.

If you can't get the shield off you can still flush that bearing out with carb cleaner while it is on the shaft. Just take the spool out with the bearing attached and spray, spin and repeat the process until you think the bearing is free of crud. Wait until the card cleaner drys and then lube

I did this to reels with good bearings under the spool pin, but if the bearing is shot and needs replacing your going to need to get that pin out of the shaft.

oc1

Quote from: Reel Newbie on August 09, 2019, 11:51:18 PM
I don't have a spool pin remover. 
Yank it out with a pair of needle-nose pliers.  You may be able to grab the pin well enough to work it out, but will not be able to grab it well enough to bend the shaft.
-steve

Reel Newbie

Thanks for the replies, this is the first modern baitcaster that I am trying to service. Never had to deal with spool pins before, and I only do my own reels.

oc1

There is also the Hedgehog tool that works well if there is room for it.
https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/2
-steve