Moi | Pacific threadfin

Started by wailua boy, August 18, 2019, 12:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wailua boy

These fish are in a closed season for the summer. Apologies on the pics, my phone was dropped and has a crack on camera housing and won't focus.

Benni3

I like to different species,,,,, :D hope to see you rack up on them,,,,,,,,, ;D

wailua boy

Another pic from a separate fishing trip

Bryan Young

Moi is the best. Before Moi was reserved for only the chiefs on up Kings of Hawaii and can only be taken during open season. My second favorite fish only second to Opakapaka.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wailua boy

I unfortunately gill hooked this fish even with a full circle hook. Luckily their season just opened.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

smnaguwa

I like crispy skin fried moi! Hard to get good sized ones except on other islands than Oahu.

wailua boy

Picked up a pair yesterday

Benni3

Very cool looking fish,,,,,, 8) what do you catch them on,,,,,, ;D

wailua boy

Thanks. I was throwing chunks of cut fish but I have caught moi throwing artificials.

Benni3

Quote from: wailua boy on March 09, 2020, 01:57:36 AM
Thanks. I was throwing chunks of cut fish but I have caught moi throwing artificials.
what do they taste like,,,,,
,, ;D

wailua boy

They are very tasty but on the mild side. I steamed the pair i caught.

conchydong

Dang, we have that fish in Florida. Well, the Atlantic Threadfin. Not a common catch but you get some occasionally while surf fishing for Pompano. Never thought to eat one. Now that I hear they are good, I probably won't catch another. Thanks for the information.

Scott

oc1

Quote from: conchydong on March 09, 2020, 08:17:00 PM
Atlantic Threadfin
On the Texas coast we used to call them Whisker Minnows.  When they bunch up and begin to migrate they are accompanied by tarpon, jacks, ling/cobia, etc,  They're such good bait that it would be a shame to eat one.

In Hawaii they are so popular as a food fish that millions of bucks have been invested in learning to farm them.
-steve

wailua boy