Newbies and Party Boats

Started by mrbrklyn, August 18, 2019, 02:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 07, 2019, 03:25:40 AM
Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 05, 2019, 05:53:47 AM
Quote from: Benni3 on September 02, 2019, 03:04:28 AM
How's the fishing up there,,,,,, ;D

despite strong currents from the new moon, porgy and blues have been strong.

Also, I struck out completely on the Fluke trip last week.  I have no idea why.  I hooked up fish and lost them on the return on several ocasions.  I have a very light rod for fluking and I was using 4 ounce and 6 ounce weights with hi-lo rids, with gulp, teasers and natural spearing.  They just seemed to come off the hook.  It is very fustrating :)  I've obviously learned nothing about fluking yet!
yes my friend I have ran into that problem with brook trout here they just bounced off the lure had to go with a sifter rod to set the hook or maybe a knife sharping
stone on your hooks,,,,,,,, ;D

oc1

Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 07, 2019, 03:25:40 AM
They just seemed to come off the hook.  It is very fustrating :)  I've obviously learned nothing about fluking yet!
When I used to fish for flounder a lot I found that I had to let them take the bait, give it a few seconds, then come tight on them very slowly.  No jerking to set the hook; just steady and increasing pressure until they get up off the bottom and start to pull.
-steve

oldmanjoe

:)   Wow that brought back some memories of the Sheepshead bay boats.    My first 15 years of life was spent on a family owned charter boat business.
     Jamaica Bay was my back yard .     If i was not fishing on the big boat i was fishing on a smaller boat that my father and i built .  Joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

bluefish69

Quote from: oldmanjoe on September 07, 2019, 02:05:21 PM
:)   Wow that brought back some memories of the Sheepshead bay boats.    My first 15 years of life was spent on a family owned charter boat business.
     Jamaica Bay was my back yard .     If i was not fishing on the big boat i was fishing on a smaller boat that my father and i built .  Joe

Joe

I remember that boat well & also the Romar that was also in Shell Bank Creek. I grew up in Broad Channel & went to Hummel's for Out Board repairs in Howard Beach. We had a 29' Jersey Skiff back then kept it in Broad Channel. I spoke to John & Frank when I was out. I still live in the area & there isn't any open boats in the creek now.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

oldmanjoe

Two of my brothers still live and fish from shell bank creek .    It is sad to see no big boat there any more .  I still remember spending a lot of time at Charly`s when they built the sea quail.   There was a lot of good old timers back then to teach a boy to be a man .  Joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Benni3

Quote from: oldmanjoe on September 07, 2019, 04:35:04 PM
 Two of my brothers still live and fish from shell bank creek .    It is sad to see no big boat there any more .  I still remember spending a lot of time at Charly`s when they built the sea quail.   There was a lot of good old timers back then to teach a boy to be a man .  Joe
I miss the old salts when I go to the coast,,,,, :D come here boy and run the boat,,,, :) I was 8 and the boat was 50ft hatteras,,,,,,,, ;D

Benni3

Looks like a nice trip,,,, :D big basket full,,,,,,, ;D

bluefish69

Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 09, 2019, 10:31:57 AM
  Two of my brothers still live and fish from shell bank creek .    It is sad to see no big boat there any more .  I still remember spending a lot of time at Charly`s when they built the sea quail.   There was a lot of good old timers back then to teach a boy to be a man .  Joe

The Flamingo goes out of there from the Movie theater parking lot.

The Flamingo sails from BROOKLYN. What Joe is talking about is in Queens. Check a map.

Joe are you talking about Charlie Klotz on Cross Bay Blvd.?

oldmanjoe

Quote from: bluefish69 on September 21, 2019, 04:32:06 PM
Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 09, 2019, 10:31:57 AM

The Flamingo goes out of there from the Movie theater parking lot.

The Flamingo sails from BROOKLYN. What Joe is talking about is in Queens. Check a map.

Joe are you talking about Charlie Klotz on Cross Bay Blvd.?
I was asking my brother about the flamingo and he thought that it sailed from mill basin .    Yes Charlie Klotz on Cross Bay Blvd.   MY uncle Frank and Charlie built the boat in house . I remember when they  casted the rudder and propeller in house. ,making the plug ,than the sand mold and i think it was two days to heat the bronze to pour one mold

bluefish69

Joe

The only boat to sail out of Mill Basin that I know of was the Sportsmen. His sailing time was 11 AM. I was friends with the Owner - Captain. He told me which electrics to buy for our boat at the time & we would meet in the mornings & I would give him packages of fresh Skinned Ells.

Mike