Spectra for a Jigmaster

Started by joel8080, August 19, 2019, 08:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Nice Jiggy! Black & red, I love it.
What kinda rod clamp is that long lookin sucker?
Agree with others on the line size thing. I love to experiment around, but most a the time there's variables I never considered. In this case it would be paying for line I can't use.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on August 20, 2019, 07:22:16 PM
What kinda rod clamp is that long lookin sucker?
Quote from: MarkT on August 20, 2019, 07:56:43 PM
It's a cork puppy.

Cool! New one on me too G. I googled it...thanks for sharing guys. I like your Jiggy Joel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

joel8080

A cork puppy makes life easy if you have Deck hand rod or a rod with a cork handle or a X grip cover on your handle, it takes a firm grip.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

SoCalAngler

Yep, wide enough spool to hold a ton of braid. 50-60/65 should be fine. In the past I was a proponent of not dropping down to under that lb test range for braid, but since that time I have spooled reels with a 8 strand 40 lb solid braid and like it enough that I have put it on a few reels where I fish 15-20-25 lb toppers.

These are my light bait setups and I run a long topper of mono. Braid floats, mono/fluoro sinks so for me on smaller baits or weaker ones I don't want those little guys trying swim freely out with a flotation device attached to them. Also this is usually when I'm deep into the kelp or structure and being able to cut out damage to the mono and not retie I like a lot.

SoCalAngler

What's a CorkPuppy? ;)

Jim Fujitani

Cork Puppies come in three sizes (and some colors) and are fitted to the rod (based upon diameter of the rod grip) where you desire the the reel to rest.  They allow you to use your regular reel clamp bolts (you can use aluminum or nylon spacer washers if your bolts are too long).

The design spreads the force and pressure over a longer section of the rod blank beneath the cork tape or X-wrap, than  the stock reel clamps.

There are other types of reel clamps that perform the same purpose, but they tend to be more involved (usually more screws and parts) to mount and remove, and typically more expensive. 

Gfish

Cool! One more question: what'er some good rod brands for them type a handles that'll use the cork puppies. Not havin to install the typical reel seat could bring me back to rod building...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MarkT

Cork tape/x-tube/cord wrapped/no reel seat butt's are common on jig sticks 8'+ from many brands and some people put them on shorter rods, I guess because they're cheap!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Ron Jones

I don't consider the cost. I like being able to decide where my reel goes. As I understand it, the term "Deck Hand Special" came about because deck hands would wrap the butt of a rod that was given to them because of a failed reel seat with whatever was available in order to be able to clamp a reel on and go fishing.

I just know that I like them.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

wfjord

What keeps a cork puppy from moving/rotating sideways on the blank or handle?

That would come in reel handy on a surf casting rod.

joel8080

The Cork Puppy spreads the load from 1/2 inch (regular reel clamp) to 3 1/4" to 3 3/8 inches for the puppy also it has ribs inside to grip the cork or X wrap.
Those are the 2 sizes I have there may be a larger one as they make 3 sizes.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

Swami805

Here's a clamp for deck hand rods with reels don't have a clamp. I got it a few days ago and fished it all day yesterday. Worked like a charm. It's on a skinny butt ulua but will fit larger size rod butts too. A nice option for a reel with no clamp. It lists all the reels it fits on the website
Do what you can with that you have where you are