Jerky drags

Started by JamesTaylor, August 20, 2019, 10:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTaylor

Hello all. I've recently upgraded the drags in my torium 14hga and my trinidad 20a with Carbontex washers and applied cals drag grease. Under light drag they are both smooth as silk but once I get up to the drag I'm going to be running the reels at, they are not violently jerky but rather I would describe them as being/feeling micro jerky.

For example on the 20a I set the reel at 13 lbs drag and with the line going through the guides and tie the line off to a heavy weight. Then I start pulling on the rod slowly and it's jerky, but when I pull fast it's smooth. The jerkyness when pulling slow is very fast jerks. Same exact situation with the little torium but it starts happening at 7 lbs of drag.

Wondering if this is a problem and is this the dreaded "start up" ? Also wondering if Carbontex need to be broken in or seated? I'm ocd so this has been bugging me out. Any and all suggestions and input is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Taylor

happyhooker

Greetings, JT, from Minnesota, USA.

Several folks on the site are familiar with Carbontex, and I believe you'll get some response to your query soon.

Frank

oc1

Quote from: JamesTaylor on August 20, 2019, 10:20:35 PM
wondering if Carbontex need to be broken in or seated?
They will get smoother with use.  They seem to start out with too much "tooth", then get better and better until they are just right, then start to get too slick and loaded with crud.  When they get too slick you have to really crank down on them to get enough drag and they start to jerk again.  You can bring them back to life by scrubbing with a solvent and the cycle starts over again although the cycle will be shorter the second time around.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

x2 what Steve said - I've only ever had any jerkiness with the thicker cf washers in star drag reel, never in lever drag. The thinner ones 1mm or less have always been fine. They will bed in, just simulate a few hard runs with the drag buttoned down. If your using braid make sure it isn't slipping slightly.

JamesTaylor

Ok. I took out the Carbontex and put the stock washers back in and same thing is happening. So I'm starting to think I might have too much grease or not enough.  I'm going to clean them and try again. What solvent works to clean them and how much grease should I use on the washers? Thanks

Tiddlerbasher

For cleaning I use carb cleaner or acetone and a small brush (cut down flux brush), whichever comes to hand. Work a 'smear' of grease into the cf with a small brush or your finger - I usually just drag a finger across each surface to remove any gross excess, sometimes I don't bother the excess will squeeze out. Check for slipping braid ;)

Gfish

This might be to simple a thing, but how tight is the line on the reel? Are the coils getting buried under pressure as you pull them off?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: JamesTaylor on August 21, 2019, 11:22:52 AM
I took out the Carbontex and put the stock washers back in and same thing is happening.

That tells me something else is causing the problem.

Quote from: Gfish on August 21, 2019, 03:12:31 PM
This might be to simple a thing, but how tight is the line on the reel? Are the coils getting buried under pressure as you pull them off?

This is a great place to start analyzing.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

bhale1

I agree with the folks before. I had the same problem with a little Okuma Andros I got from craigslist.  The guy said he spooled the braid on "really tight"....I had a shop strip the line off and respool it with a line winder...problem solved.
Also gained enough space for a 100 foot topshot of mono.
Brett

Ron Jones

Everyone's "really tight" is subjective. You have to watch the Boss spool a few reels to see how a scientist does it and why it is always right.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

foakes

Another thing to check, if you haven't already — the under gear drag washer, and the ratchet wheel and bottom side of the main gear for smoothness and no corrosion.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

First check your under-gear washer and ratchet like Fred advised. Then set up an improvised rod holder and reel all your line onto an empty reel Don't do this in free-spool but under light drag pressure. You will need to re-adjust the drag a couple of times as your line capacity diminishes. Then do the opposite and reel it all back onto the reel in question with the appropriate drag setting on the temporary reel so that you line is well packed on your new reel. Your arm will get a work-out but your new reel will get a break-in and your line will be tightly packed. Hopefully the combination of all the advice from the Ohana will cure your reels.
-Mike

JamesTaylor

Thanks for all the input guys. The line is wound very tight. I watch it as it's coming off the spool and it's laying on top not getting buried. Ive also cleaned all the cals drag grease off the drag washers and tried that but it's still the same. I put extra cals drag grease and it's still the same. I've also tried to  rectify this problem by tying  the line off in my backyard and walking with the rod and reel under heavy drag a couple times hoping to seat and break in the new washers But It seems like that did not do anything. I thought it was corrosion on the big gear but there is none. The trinidad has been used for a season but looks good and clean inside. The Tranx I just bought is so so so smooth at 13 lbs and this is how I'm trying to get this trini to feel like but I'm seriously at a loss for ideas. Should I scrub the big gear and the metal drag washers with steel wool? On the bottom of the big gear there is little spots of discoloration but not where the drag washer hits it...   ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Bryan Young

How's The metal look between the main gear and the gear shaft?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Donnyboat

It sound like you have covered everything correct with the fibre drag, maybe there is a faulty bearing, or the half moon pressure washers, are they () () as they should be, in most reels, I have never had any trouble, with carbon fibre washes if every thing else is okay, good luck cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat