Poor neglected boxes

Started by milne, August 21, 2019, 07:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

As the title states,  We see some pretty damn good reel restorations on this site, some beautiful skilled work.

But as the title states, some of the poor trashed neglected boxes are truly a waste.
For some reason, I managed to score a few 155's and there boxes, they were from the early 50's fair trading era thru to the late 50's.
So next to target, was  40's box with the slopped writing, Hard to find !.
Then this wee puppy appeared after keeping an eye out for a while.  The reel is yet to be cleaned up, it's been fished, but will come up ok.
But, the box !!!.
There should be a law against "box" abuse, perhaps I can track the original owner down and return the favour  ;D.

So, my little project ahead of me, is to see how successfully I can "restore", make good, or at least save this hard to find box from the recycle bin.
I don't know how this will go, unchartered territory, but I intend to either re cover, or bind it all together to make it presentable again.
The main thing is I want to save the front label, someone decided to use a clear cotton tape to stick the corner of the box together, which it has now stuck to the picture front. I'm positive with heat, or perhaps soaking I can remove that and save the face from peeling away.
Anyways, this maybe a complete success story, or an epic fail,  but I feel the need to try and at least see how good it will come out.
It wont end up a box for the purist collector, but will hold a place on my shelf when done ,,,,,, hopefully.......  WIP.

Col

Crow

I'm betting you can make it a "bunch" better...."perfect"?, no......."presentable"?, my money's on you !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

AC49

Will be following with interest Col  :)

I think we all have "that box"  ;D

Keep us posted.

Regards
AC49

milne

Thanks Guys,
      LOL, Yep we all sure do have those boxes.

I'm going to use a heat gun/dryer first to see if I can remove that cotton enforced clear tape on the front, without loosing any of the picture,
Then I figured it's got to be strengthened up, especially on the top lid face. I'll try and do that with a new cardboard type piece from the inside. Then, I'll try and find a similar match to the black sheeting, down at the local craft shop and see if I can make a half decent job of recovering it.
It would be nice to give it a new lease on life, it's a shame to see this 40's box go to waste......

stay tuned......

Col

Swami805

I'll be watching, I have a few beat up boxes that could use some love. Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Midway Tommy

Proceed with caution!  ;) I have rehabbed many an original reel box. There's no recouping once you've taken things too far. Patience is the key.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bill B

Col, here is a link to a thread I did on repairing a DelMar 286 box....Hope this helps.  As Tommy stated, once you go too far there is no turning back.  As for removing the tape, I have no suggestions, beyond letting it dry out of the years and falling off.  I think on of the key things to remember is make sure you square everything up to make the box somewhat functional.   Good luck brother. Bill

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22380.0

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

milne

Thanks Guys.
Bill,  That was a great link, Thank you.  I can use that method on the bottom part of the box, which isn't to bad really.

update.....    The top portion of the box, passed away last night around 11.30 pm........ ;D

The top half was absolute toast, which I found out as I carefully tried to remove the cotton re enforced clear tape of the front picture label.
Using a hair dryer, I managed to remove it, but did loose a couple of pieces of the front picture. The glue basically melted and you had to be quick in trying to remove what you could before it cooled down. I actually use that fibre tape when doing glass to glass butt joins, while siliconing, as it's so strong it will hold the glass until the silicone cures, it also has an aggressive glue,  So It was unfortunate that this was used.
The top of the box and one side, was honestly like cornflakes cereal, possibly was saturated at some stage, not sure.

So, Plan A-2
     I managed to carefully soak off the front label, with the black box covering still adhered to the back of it. So the job now, will be to replace the damaged side and top, and source out a similar black covering, which I'm going to give a go.

The label wasn't exactly the prettiest puppy in the first place, but still, it needs to live on, all be it, not exactly in it's original House.

So, down to the craft shop this weekend I go......

Col

milne

Well,  It's at least a wee bit more presentable now and I have learned heaps.
      Have another 40's one arriving soon, with the lid in 3 pieces, but again the label is perfect.
    I understand it's not for the purist, but I wonder how many just get passed by and end up trashed.
   I'll get better at this !
  Anyways.

Col

Sharkb8

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

AC49

Good job Col.

I agree with you, some boxes are so far gone it makes sense to save what you can. Overall very impressive.

You might want to give us a clue as to what material you used to cover the box ??

Regards
AC49

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

milne

Thanks guys,
                  Yes, the box was basically toast, I managed to use a hair dryer to slowly get the label off as best I could.
            I've kept all of the remains of the old box, but I don't think there is much of a chance with it. I considered different ways that I could somehow use
            the old sides, but it was really crumbling and unrepairable.  I have another 40's box and reel arriving soon, the top of the lid has ripped off and is
        separate, but the sides look good, so I will try and re enforce the top lid and put it back on so it retains most of it's originality.
    Ok, so the box above, was a completely made from scratch. I visited a couple of craft shops and collected stuff that I thought could work.
   Basically, I used a thick white cardboard and cut the pattern of the box imprint laid flat, then, I bought some thinner brownish grained cardboard
and lined the inside of the box. The black outer cover, was a thick satin black paper, with the closest pattern I could find to the original penn box.
I used craft glue between layers as well as gluing the front label on.  I think I could improve on my technique for the next box I attempt, but all in all I was happy with my first attempt. Obviously, this is for my shelf and I would never pass it off as original in a less than clear Ebay photo.
  I'll try and put together some photo's of what products I used on the weekend, I should have done so as I made it, but I wasn't confident how it would turn out.  Where possible, I think just re-enforcing a trashed box would be the go, but sometimes there just to far gone...

Col

milne

My expected arrival of a 40's 200 yd boxed Surfmaster arrived today.
I thought I was going to use my skills and repair the lid that was ripped in half, which I was aware of in the photo.
However, I couldn't even take the reel and spare spool out of the box, as it had been selitaped completely up.
So after removing the seletape carefully, the boxed completely crumbled.  Grrr.

Here we go again.
So, my second attempt at creating a new box, came out a little better that the first attempt on the 40's 155. Still have to get the overlap of the
black covering a wee bit neater.
I'm keeping the old box and may play with it to try and re enforce it inside, in the quest for originality, it certainly couldn't even be put on the shelf, yet alone take the weight of the reel and spare spool inside.
Removing the label intact is the trick, seem to have that down pack now, so even tho there not original, the label certainly identifies it's era....

Box lid is still wet, so will cut out the two round scallops tomorrow after it dries.

Col