South Bend Classic 930

Started by Midway Tommy, August 21, 2019, 11:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Picked up this 930 for 6 bucks @ the hockshop today. They wanted $10, I offered 'em $6 and she took it. :o  Works perfectly and looks like it's rarely, if ever, been used.  8) Haven't opened it up yet, though. That'll be a rainy day or winter project, one of many.  ::)

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

festus

Great find, Tommy.  Whenever you open that reel up, please share some pics.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Irish1

Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 21, 2019, 11:09:18 PM
Picked up this 930 for 6 bucks @ the hockshop today. They wanted $10, I offered 'em $6 and she took it. :o  Works perfectly and looks like it's rarely, if ever, been used.  8) Haven't opened it up yet, though. That'll be a rainy day or winter project, one of many.  ::)

Nice reel! That looks a lot like a Diamond Fury I got in box of parts at a local auction. Was that South Bend made in Japan by any chance?

festus

Quote from: Irish1 on September 30, 2019, 11:30:59 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 21, 2019, 11:09:18 PM

Nice reel! That looks a lot like a Diamond Fury I got in box of parts at a local auction. Was that South Bend made in Japan by any chance?
Those 800 series of South Bends and the Diamond Spinmasters are very close to the same, and they're also made in Japan.  Not sure of the Diamond Fury.

Irish1

I may have called mine incorrectly as they list them on eBay as a Fury Diamond. It looks to be same manufacture but mine is the 150 size. I have been using it to catch bluegill and bass on a equally old Garcia Conolon Live Fiber Rod. It does a great job. It's fun to fish vintage  :)!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on September 30, 2019, 06:43:56 PM
Great find, Tommy.  Whenever you open that reel up, please share some pics.

Here you go, Chester. It wasn't too bad but I doubt if it had ever been completely evacuated, cleaned and serviced.

Nothing surprising. Pretty much the same as the others in its family. I performed my usual cleaning process and lubed it up with synthetic oil and Super Lube.

It's a pretty nice little late '60s Japanese made reel.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Ruffy

Very nice inside! I like that the AR is on the pinion and not the main. Thanks for the view Tommy!

Midway Tommy

Picked up a nice SB 930 box with papers and manual cheap the other day.  8)

So here you go guys. A use and care guide.

And a schematic with 925, 930, 935 and 960 parts list.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

swede 53

I picked one of these up last August,the seller had it listed as a South Bend reel but the badge was missing,i could see by the 2 screw side plate that it was a 900 series and made an offer.It was dirty but other than the missing badge was in nice shape,i disassembled,cleaned it,that brown soft grease was in it yet and put 12#BG on,also used the original drag washers.Was hoping to hook up with a good size northern and put it to the test but no luck but did have a 29 in. channel cat hook up and make a few runs,it was no test for this reel.I later bought a 935 and was able to determine what i had,the size difference is very small.I would hate to think what a reel built like this would cost today.

mo65

Every dog has his day. You might remember a few weeks ago I got stung on a 930 that turned out to be a 925. As rare as the 925s have been coming up for sale I'm not sure I really got stung at all, but still, I had no 930. Then I saw this near mint beauty listed and I pounced. The box is excellent, the papers are excellent, the reel is excellent, it even has the original craft paper! I now have all four models in the Classic line. Who would ever dream that South Bend would be the one to produce(or at least sell) what is possibly the perfect spinning reel? I did something odd with this reel...I took "original condition/totally stock" to extremes. It obviously had the original lube in it, so I left it alone! I just added a few drops of synthetic oil to it to loosen it up well. Then I mopped up any loose globs with a q-tip, snapped a few pics, and tucked it away for safe hoarding. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Good find, Mike! Patience, that is the key to finding nice reels for reasonable prices.  8)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE