S 332-5 left side plate removal - help

Started by Fishead, August 23, 2019, 04:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead

It looks like the S series might be the worst reels he made. The base of this reel has 4 screws that rusted and broke off in it. I got the base to come out.  I do not see any means of removing the left side plate to access the broken screw studs and possibly replace them or try and use a tiburon frame. Is there a trick to taking this side plate off? The 2 screw holes have a flat stud looking piece instead of means to use a screwdriver to remove them.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

alantani

been there.  in the worst case, you'll have to drill out or grind off the tops of the screws, remove the side plate and then torch the studs.  this will not be easy.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishead

Question is, if I can get the side plate off, will it work with a tiburon frame. I don't care if I destroy the frame if I can save the side plates and make it work with a different frame. At least the reel will be usable. I'm not going to go through all that work to save it otherwise. It will be a parts reel. I have 2 tiburon frames here, if it won't save this reel I will use it on one of my older C or P  series 332's

Swami805

Yes the sideplates work fine in the Tiburon frame once all the screws are out. Those long screws can be a real pain if they're corroded.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Hamachi

Put the nuts or screw heads back on from the drive side you just took off. Now hammer those screws until you get space between the frame on the other side or the heads of the screws come out enough to grab with vise grips. Broken through screws? Stick them back in and hammer until there's enough room between the frame and side plate to cut them off.
I would try to not ruin the old frame parts, someone could use them. They're getting scarce. Find the right buyer and it'll pay for your tiburon frame.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Newell Nut

Sorry you ran into a problem like that. The long crossbolts are found in some S models and some C models. Anytime making a purchase always look for a picture of the left side plate to see the smooth screw head with no slot. On the larger 600 models you can find them by  seeing a Phillips head screw on the left side plate and slotted screw head on the handle side. This is a long crossbolt arrangement.

If you find a clean reel and remove those crossbolts and then grease them heavily you will not have a problem. I have a few that work perfect and no issue at all. When they were factory assembled they were not greased and that is the failure mechanism.

Dwight

Fishead

The frame is already toast in my book. All 4 screws rusted and broke off in the base. I'm not going to try and remove them. Too much work for me. I will have to hunt up the proper screws to install the tiburon frame if I'm able to get side plates off. It is not my reel and owner already told me to make it a parts reel but I may give it on more try. If it doesn't work the parts reel will have scars from my attempt.

Swami805

Check ebay for the screws, search Newell seller whittierte  I think, he sells the screws as a set. Super easy and doesn't cost much
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Fishead

Got it apart. Crazy they didn't put any grease on those long studs when they assembled the reel. I got 1 out in one piece, all the rest were in 2 pieces.

alantani

Quote from: Fishead on August 26, 2019, 03:23:56 AM
Crazy they didn't put any grease on those long studs when they assembled the reel.

no argument there.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TEAMFISH

Quote from: Fishead on August 24, 2019, 04:14:15 PM
The frame is already toast in my book. All 4 screws rusted and broke off in the base. I'm not going to try and remove them. Too much work for me. I will have to hunt up the proper screws to install the tiburon frame if I'm able to get side plates off. It is not my reel and owner already told me to make it a parts reel but I may give it on more try. If it doesn't work the parts reel will have scars from my attempt.
I believe the Tib frames come with new screws

Fishead

FYI, the tiburon frames do not come with the screws. I ended using a punch to get the broken stand screws out. Wasn't as difficult as I thought. Still put the tuburon frame on though. If anyone needs S332 crossbars or stand, let me know.