alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Use the line nub on penn spools when putting line on?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
August 12, 2020, 04:26:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Use the line nub on penn spools when putting line on?  (Read 2051 times)
Lingwendil
East SF bay area pier rat

« on: August 23, 2019, 12:11:28 PM »

Getting ready to spool up a couple Penn 209 reels with 20# Berkley Big Game clear mono, one aluminum spool, one stainless spool. Both have the nub that is meant to be used to attach line to the spool. Would it be better to tie off to this nub, or to put the line directly to the spool with an arbor or uni knot? I see very little mention of this, but I've been told not to use the nub. Any help would be appreciated  Cool

Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)
MarkT

Mission Viejo, CA, USA

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 01:05:13 PM »

I never use it.  I just tie to the spool with a uni knot.

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!
RowdyW
Firearms Group

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 01:49:52 PM »

If the spool has a nub I use it.      Rudy
Bill B (Tarfu)
Fish Nutritionist II
Sensei

Crestline, CA

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 07:04:21 PM »

I do not tie directly to the nub, rather when tying to the arbor, I make sure the wraps cross around so if the line starts sliding on the arbor the nub will catch and stop further slipping....if any of that makes sense...Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!
Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 07:10:19 PM »

If the spool has a nub I use it.      Rudy

Yup, same here.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 07:19:57 PM »

You could do 1 wrap around the nub then continue around the spool and finish with a uni or arbor knot. This'ed prevent slippage and probably give you a better knot, than if you just tied off on the nub.

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
wfjord

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 07:31:49 PM »

I never knew what was proper. Figured it was left up to the imagination of the purchaser. I just tie onto the arbor with a uni, put a couple wraps around the nub and load the line on.
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 10:49:43 PM »

X2 what Bill, Gfish and wfjord said.  Tie it to the arbor and use the nub to keep it from slipping.
Lingwendil
East SF bay area pier rat

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 04:07:22 PM »

Thanks guys, I tied to the spool with the nub nearby to prevent slipping. Should last nicely.

Man, I sure do like that Berkley big game. Went with 20# solar green on this one so it's easier to see while night fishing. Looks like a rope under blacklight or white LED.

Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)
Cor
Cape Town
Firearms Group

I am probably fishing......

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 06:28:47 PM »

I do not tie directly to the nub, rather when tying to the arbor, I make sure the wraps cross around so if the line starts sliding on the arbor the nub will catch and stop further slipping....if any of that makes sense...Bill
Yes it does, that is what I do as well. 
I am not too fussed about it as most reels dont have one and the modern Penns I own have a hole through the arbour.

Cornelis
Donnyboat
donnyboat
Photo Group

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 07:51:33 PM »

I have two half hitches around the spool then tye to the nub, ajust the line so it is tight on the nub, then tight on to the half hitches, then run line close to that area, as I start winding it on, I like the Berkeley line, if you bend it over hard & the straighten it out, it does not get that memory line across it like some of the cheep leed lines do, I use it for leed line, cheers Don.

Don, or donnyboat
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 08:08:49 PM »

I never use it.  I just tie to the spool with a uni knot.

yeah, the nub will pull out!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
RowdyW
Firearms Group

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 09:24:49 PM »

If a fish pulls all your line off till there is a straight pull on the nub you might as well wrap the line on a cleat because you didn't have enough reel for that fish. If the nub doesn't fail you are going to pull the hook, straighten the hook, or break the line pulling with a bare spool anyway.  Shocked Shocked JMO
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 09:28:03 PM by RowdyW » Logged
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 09:40:51 PM »

I pull the nub and tie to the arbor.   The nub can nick the line so I don’t want anything there that can nick the line.

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 06:07:39 AM »

It is just like winching your stuck vehicle out of a creek —

Why secure your strapping and cable to a branch — when you can just use the trunk that the branch is growing out of?

Best,

Fred

Self-worth is how you value yourself. It’s not based on what others think of you or the things you have (or haven’t) accomplished—it comes from within. But it’s easy to forget that our worth isn’t determined by outside forces -- each of us sets our own price.

In life, be flexible, willing to listen to others, willing to change your mind based on your good judgement -- that is how progress is made, and new horizons are discovered.  When the winds of change blow -- A flexible limb moves and thrives -- a stiff and stubborn limb just snaps.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: