Use the line nub on penn spools when putting line on?

Started by Lingwendil, August 23, 2019, 08:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lingwendil

Getting ready to spool up a couple Penn 209 reels with 20# Berkley Big Game clear mono, one aluminum spool, one stainless spool. Both have the nub that is meant to be used to attach line to the spool. Would it be better to tie off to this nub, or to put the line directly to the spool with an arbor or uni knot? I see very little mention of this, but I've been told not to use the nub. Any help would be appreciated  8)
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

MarkT

I never use it.  I just tie to the spool with a uni knot.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

RowdyW

Bill B

I do not tie directly to the nub, rather when tying to the arbor, I make sure the wraps cross around so if the line starts sliding on the arbor the nub will catch and stop further slipping....if any of that makes sense...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

You could do 1 wrap around the nub then continue around the spool and finish with a uni or arbor knot. This'ed prevent slippage and probably give you a better knot, than if you just tied off on the nub.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

wfjord

I never knew what was proper. Figured it was left up to the imagination of the purchaser. I just tie onto the arbor with a uni, put a couple wraps around the nub and load the line on.

oc1

X2 what Bill, Gfish and wfjord said.  Tie it to the arbor and use the nub to keep it from slipping.

Lingwendil

Thanks guys, I tied to the spool with the nub nearby to prevent slipping. Should last nicely.

Man, I sure do like that Berkley big game. Went with 20# solar green on this one so it's easier to see while night fishing. Looks like a rope under blacklight or white LED.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Cor

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on August 24, 2019, 03:04:21 AM
I do not tie directly to the nub, rather when tying to the arbor, I make sure the wraps cross around so if the line starts sliding on the arbor the nub will catch and stop further slipping....if any of that makes sense...Bill
Yes it does, that is what I do as well. 
I am not too fussed about it as most reels dont have one and the modern Penns I own have a hole through the arbour.
Cornelis

Donnyboat

I have two half hitches around the spool then tye to the nub, ajust the line so it is tight on the nub, then tight on to the half hitches, then run line close to that area, as I start winding it on, I like the Berkeley line, if you bend it over hard & the straighten it out, it does not get that memory line across it like some of the cheep leed lines do, I use it for leed line, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

alantani

Quote from: MarkT on August 23, 2019, 09:05:13 PM
I never use it.  I just tie to the spool with a uni knot.

yeah, the nub will pull out!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RowdyW

If a fish pulls all your line off till there is a straight pull on the nub you might as well wrap the line on a cleat because you didn't have enough reel for that fish. If the nub doesn't fail you are going to pull the hook, straighten the hook, or break the line pulling with a bare spool anyway.  :o :o JMO

Bryan Young

I pull the nub and tie to the arbor.   The nub can nick the line so I don't want anything there that can nick the line.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

It is just like winching your stuck vehicle out of a creek —

Why secure your strapping and cable to a branch — when you can just use the trunk that the branch is growing out of?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.