Use the line nub on penn spools when putting line on?

Started by Lingwendil, August 23, 2019, 08:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Slippage!

If you attach the line to the nub correctly, there wouldn't be any damage to it.
They've been using it for years with no issue. The nub is not sharp on the edges, I removed many dacron lines in the past with no sign of damage.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SoCalAngler

Do what you feel is right. I think I have only one reel that has a "nub" and I have never tied to it. Other reels that I own have a thru hole on the spool, AKA like the Penn Fathom's and I think on my Torque's also. I have never used that thru hole either, like stated if you tie on the line correctly to the arbor these IMO should not be needed.

Look at true big game reels, have you ever seen the arbor tie down on those? Well on those reels that have been built in the last 15 years or so? In my opinion if they were truly necessary I think you would see them on every big game reel and not on the little bait casters or other smaller game reels. Just something to think about.

ez2cdave

Quote from: alantani on August 25, 2019, 04:08:49 AM

yeah, the nub will pull out!

Alan,

Thanks for the warning . . . That would be a "bad surprise" !

Tight Lines !

Dave F.

CapeFish

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 25, 2019, 05:40:51 AM
I pull the nub and tie to the arbor.   The nub can nick the line so I don't want anything there that can nick the line.

I do the same, I pull the nubs out and just tie on with a decent knot. If I use braid I may first put some mono around then tie that to the braid.

Sharkb8

I manly use mono line and I just tie a loop knot and sit it over the nib. If I am about to get spood I lock up the drag and clamp down with my hand if it slips the line comes off without damaging the nib or the reel.

Lingwendil

Thanks for the comments guys. I've done a couple each way just to see how it goes. It is easier to tie off to the nub, which is good for my fumbly hands.  ;D
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

broadway

Never had a nib pull out, and I also use them when available.  Totally agree with Rudy that if you get down that low nothing is gonna stop that fish from taking that knot right off your arbor or nib.
Best,
Dom