grumman sport boat, anyone here use one?

Started by nagant, August 24, 2019, 04:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nagant

15' 3" long 43" wide depending on year HP from 5 to 7 but see people on line that go up to 15 or so. Question i have is i used to cross the mississippi to backwater area's and not sure if that's the brightest thing to do with this boat. Might be getting paranoid but thinking of buying another one and thought i'd see if anyone had advice.  I ran smaller rivers in hard current with same boat and a 6 hp with no problem but worried about wakes from weekend warriors on the mississippi. Did it before but the tumblehome at the stern worries me, worst i remember was barge wakes but just headed into them and no real problem, thanks.
Brice

foakes

Those are very high quality boats, nagent —

Not real common out here in the West.

But being long, narrow, and basically not designed for more than a 7 HP motor — it could prove to be an issue in rough conditions, large wakes, or contrary weather.

It is basically a large canoe (more stable than a canoe) with a motor on the stern.

With the proper weight distribution of gear and passengers — it will plane with a small motor.

I am not sure I would feel comfortable in the Mississippi — if things started to escalate Southward.

There are plenty of good aluminum boats.

I currently have a 15' 3" Gregor with a 25 HP Johnson.

Valco's are good.  As is Crestliner, and many, many others.

Others will likely have better first hand experience.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

The Grumman looks sort of like a Gheenoe from Florida.  

If you do not already have the boat you might want to look into microskiffs. They're self-bailing so you cannot swamp them.  With the right set-up, some foresight and practice they can fairly easily be righted if they capsize.  They'll go anywhere the Grumman can go.  Usually less than 10 hp.  They are very wet though and may not be the best for cold water.

-steve

nagant

The weather forecast is key with the gsr, not a ""red sky in the morning'' boat for the river.  plenty of back water lakes on both sides  and current is like 3 mph in the channel. Bad timing with the duel V8 racing boats while crossing was main worry. My old boat had a lot of power for what it was.  i had a six hp johnson but used my brothers 75 martin he inherited from his father in law and it pushed  more like a 8 or nine horse. Had a twist grip throttle  8) but i had trouble starting it, but would idle smooth and was great for trolling.  sold my canoes due to age and nerve damage but still need to get out on my small rivers and backwaters  so will stick with the Grumman, if i need to get to the other side guess i can just trailer it.
Brice

Rivverrat

Since you still or already have this boat your the best one to answer whether it will work well for your situation. Over the years I've had several square backed canoes. Some of them went from bad to terrible the minute you mounted any motor on them.

The Grumman is a respected small craft of this type from Alaska to Louisiana. The Missourian, made by Osagian Canoe a 17' square back is a better boat. Easy to stand & cast in it. More room than the Grumman The bench mark square back freighter style canoe is the Hudson bay made by Scott canoe in Canada. This is a big one. Able to do well on the ocean & is made from fiberglass.

Most square backed canoes perform much better with an older, lighter 2 stroke on the transom. The newer small horse power 4 strokes are all great outboards but their extra weight can be a negative on these canoes.

I wouldnt be with out a good square back canoe. With that said, for one boat, deep fast water, to smooth lakes I would not choose this type boat as my only one.

A wide 14' - 16' aluminum, fiberglass or molded boat that will take a 15 -25 outboard is a much better boat for fishing the Kansas & Missouri Rivers here & makes for a much better all around utility style boat... Jeff

nagant

last canoe sold today :-\, first time in 26 years i,m shorebound.  The problem i have is storage space and weight.  l almost bought one of those  Missourian's last year but was 16 ft or so, brother has a Osagian canoe, well built .  Sport boat for sale 40 miles away that is outfitted nice, 4.5 evinrude just looked over by a shop that i know does great work, new trailer, 1977 with the 4 oarlocks and not a dent.  Older ones like that have heavier gauge skin and more room inside due to no floatation along the inner gunnels. But for the $2600 he wants i could buy a lot more boat.  But weight and LxWxH gets in the way again, head hurts now. ::)  I'll keep throwing offers on what i want, sooner or later the wife will ask who's boat is that in the yard? ;)
Brice

MarkT

A boat that doesn't meet your needs isn't a good deal no matter what you paid for it.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Ron Jones

I just looked at the thing. I can see lots of uses for it up here in tiny water, but for a big river with wake and possible weather, I'd prefer a hard chine and a little more beam. 450#s capacity comes up fast when you add in motor, fuel, gear and a longline full of fish. Coming home overloaded when it is nice shouldn't e a problem, when it is NOT nic?
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

nagant

the Grumman Sport Boat was originally rated for an 1,100 pound payload and 5hp, then  i saw one  rated for 750 pounds capacity and a 5 horse. some were rated 6hp, some 7 or 7.5., 450lbs, 750lbs, 850lbs, 1100lbs, older boats were much heavier. Coast guard jacked around with the ratings so much on these it's sad.  I like the old double oar lock boats, really stout.  All these boats have the same dimensions, thinner skin and side floatation in the later models are the only changes i know of.  I found a bunch of fresh cut oak firewood after a flood once and it took 3 trips to get it all.  last load was the biggest and probably 1500 lbs with me and dog, calm shallow backwater no problem. But empty or not i wouldn't try walleye fishing out of it below the dam, wet ride in choppy water to begin with and back trolling i think would be impossible in current. I'm going to use it like a big canoe that i don't need to load on top of my truck.
Brice

stefanmuench

Quote from: nagant on August 24, 2019, 07:13:59 PMThe weather forecast is key with the gsr, not a ""red sky in the morning'' boat for sale the river.  plenty of back water lakes on both sides  and current is like 3 mph in the channel. Bad timing with the duel V8 racing boats while crossing was main worry. My old boat had a lot of power for what it was.  i had a six hp johnson but used my brothers 75 martin he inherited from his father in law and it pushed  more like a 8 or nine horse. Had a twist grip throttle  8) but i had trouble starting it, but would idle smooth and was great for trolling.  sold my canoes due to age and nerve damage but still need to get out on my small rivers and backwaters  so will stick with the Grumman, if i need to get to the other side guess i can just trailer it.

dude, there are a few articles about grumman boat types, you can check them out if you're interested.
https://boatkinds.com/grumman-sport-boat-for-sale-only-3-900-2021-new-and-used-boats-yachts/