Al Pastor Ribs and Arroz Verde

Started by ChileRelleno, August 25, 2019, 12:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

There are days here and there where I step out of my comfort zone and try something new, today is one of those days.

I did something completely new to me, and I sure am happy I did.
Al Pastor Ribs with a Pineapple Lime Glaze

I'm a St. Louis snob, and they get cooked with dry rub, no wrap, no spritz/mop, no wrap and no glaze.
I started out last night marinading three racks in my Al Pastor marinade.
Link >>> Chile's Al Pastor Marinade/Sauce
I was thinking how best to marinade 3 racks of ribs and it hit me, vac bag'em!

Pulled them out of the marinade, and dusted them with Guajillo chile powder and my basic pork rub.

Fired up the smoker to 225°-250° with Cherry for smoke and slapped the ribs down.

Then I made the Pineapple Lime Glaze.
In a small sauce pan combine the following and bring to slow boil.
And then set aside to cool.
1 18oz Pineapple preserves (Publix generic)
1/2C Brown sugar
Juice and Zest of 1 Lime
1/4t Cloves, ground

Then I cooked up a batch of Arroz Verde / Green Rice.
Link >>> Confetti Rice / Green Rice / Garden Rice

So like I said before, no this, no that... These were marinaded beforehand, mopped with pineapple juice and glazed.
I mopped 3x in the first 3 hours, them let them ride till they were just passing the Pop, Bend and Crack Test and glazed them and gave it 30 minutes to set up.

The Finale

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Crow

You're making it REEL hard for me to stick to my diet !!! :D
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Ron Jones

First, that looks amazing, as always.
Question, what do you consider Al Pastor? I'm used to Al Pastor being a migrated version of shawarma. Cooked on a vertical spit against a live flame and only the charred outside being served (I kind of fall over dead for anything shawarma.) It appears you consider the sauce Al Pastor. What are the characteristics of the sauce that make it Al Pastor?
Thanks
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Ron Jones on August 25, 2019, 05:54:47 PM
First, that looks amazing, as always.
Question, what do you consider Al Pastor? I'm used to Al Pastor being a migrated version of shawarma. Cooked on a vertical spit against a live flame and only the charred outside being served (I kind of fall over dead for anything shawarma.) It appears you consider the sauce Al Pastor. What are the characteristics of the sauce that make it Al Pastor?
Thanks
Ron Jones
Classic Al pastor is exactly as you describe, a Middle Eastern/Mediterranean migrant adopted by Mexico as it's own beloved child, much as they've done with so much international cuisine and cooking methods.
Mexico historically has been a major hub of international trade and thus food for centuries.
And it also has had it's share of migrants from around the world influencing their culture in more ways than just food.

I label these as Al Pastor Ribs purely for the flavor profile of Al pastor.

The characteristics being the sweet/spicy tang brought on by marinating in sour/bitter orange and/or pineapple, piloncillo, vinegar, Guajillo chiles, Annatto, garlic and salt.
And the wonderful roasted flavor and charring of direct flame as it cooks on the spit.

I could go on, but I think that should suffice.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

oc1

It is called al pastor because the upright spit of meat is reminiscent of the pastor preaching to his congregation from the pulpit or the shepherd looking over his flock.
-steve

Dominick

Good explanation, John and Steve.  Food looks great John.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Like I said, looks delicious. Hadn't heard the preacher bit.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"