Shimano Stradic 4000FH

Started by 2Rod, August 25, 2019, 03:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Rod

I am having issues with a Stradic 4000FH.  The reel spins and sounds normal when just turning the handle, but when there is a fish on the reel makes a more noticeable ticking sound when turning the handle and bringing the fish to the boat.

Can anyone help identify what part(s) I need to look into replacing?

Thanks for your help!

alantani

hopefully someone can help.  i just don't know enough about spinners......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oc1

Is that the drag click going off?  I know even less about spinners.
-steve

Gfish

Are you able to disassemble the reel and check the moving parts?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

2Rod

Yes, I can disassemble the reel. 

I have cleaned and lubricated several times in the years I have owned it. 
Also replaced the felt drag washers with carbon fiber washers.  I have done this on multiple different Stradic models I own and none have caused any issue.  I do not believe it is the drag.

I also replaced Part 6130 - Roller Clutch Assy, which did not resolve the issue. 

I am looking for insight on what specific parts in the reel could be the problem when it is under load. 
Any suggestions?

foakes

One of the most knowledgeable folks about Shimano Spinners on our site — is philaroman.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

I'd start with the handle b.bearings, move to the pinion b.bearing, then look at the ossilation system and then check the gear teeth with magnification. This is based on my 2 fj's, the fh must be an earlier model, and may be diffrent.
Philoroman! You there?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wolli

replace the line roller bearing (RD7915) and the problem ist solved.  Dimensions 4x8x3

Good Luck
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

2Rod

Thanks for all the replies.  I will order a new line roller bearing and install it.
I will let you know the results in a week or so.

Thanks!

philaroman

sorry, didn't log in for a couple/few months...  55 pages of unread/updated posts can only be skimmed, LOL

have someone operate the reel under enough load to "tick", while it's next to your ear to figure out what area/parts are ticking

are you still on your original gears?  ...might be time to replace, after 15+ yrs.

Quote from: Wolli on August 25, 2019, 10:05:18 PM
replace the line roller bearing (RD7915)    OR OTHER LINE-ROLLER PARTS   and the problem ist solved.  Dimensions 4x8x3

another possibility, but don't buy anything before you examine the original parts & KNOW which new ones are needed

2Rod

philaroman

I have replaced the the following bearings:
2293 Drive Gear Bushing (I also tried a ball bearing in place of the bushing - to no avail)
7801 Bearing (Handle)
7934 Ball Bearing (The one that rides on the pinion gear shaft)
7915 Ball Bearing (Line roller)

I had spares of all but the 7915, so it was easy to swap them out.  None have resolved my problem. 

The reel still has original gears.  Which are most suspect to fail? 
I know what you mean when you say to listen to the reel under load, but I do not know how to identify which part when it is all closed up. 
Any additional help is appreciated!

nelz

When I read your problem I immediately suspected the oscillation mechanism, not surprised changing those bearings didn't work. I believe the worm gear is the culprit, maybe the pawl, I'd replace both. Good luck and keep us posted.

Gfish

2Rod, didja find the cause? This one is interesting.

handi2

I see this many times and it turns out to be the line roller bearing
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

2Rod

I replaced both the worm gear and pawl and the reel runs much better.  I had some difficulty finding new parts for a 15+ year old reel, but eventually succeeded.  I just got the parts installed so I have not operated the reel under load yet.  Maybe this weekend...  I will post again after I do that.

Thanks everyone for your input!