Bamboo and double guides

Started by gstours, August 27, 2019, 05:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

I was given a gift the other day and found this old fishing pole interesting.  The lathe turned butt and metal ferrule might date it in history.   Butt the guides are over and under and there is only one pair,  the top guide seems to be universal in how the rod is strung.
   The split bamboo is very well made.   What are your thoughts.   Just wondering.🎣

gstours

thorhammer

I have one just like it somewhere...shot in the dark is 1930's or so, but really maybe older....
When the rod starts take a "set", you rotate it 180 degrees in the ferrule to bend it back the other way. Hence the in-line tip (for want of a better word).

gstours

The length is about 5 1/2 feet.  Quite stiff action.

Benni3

Montague rod I think,,,,, :D I was very surprised of how strong bamboo rods are,,,,, ;) take it fishing my friend,,,,,, ;D

thorhammer

again, shot in the dark because I really don't know much about vintage, butt that tip may be German silver (and mebbe guides too). Would look great on your wall! Love your place up there, from Wayne's pics.

Speaking of vintage, about to finish the last Fenwick clean-up with some assistance from the Aftco rollers you sent me a ways back.

oc1

Quote from: Benni3 on August 27, 2019, 05:25:14 PM
take it fishing my friend,,,,,, ;D

Are you nuts Benny.  Gary has never caught a fish small enough to land on split bamboo  :) :)

But, kidding aside, if you plan to ever use it you should start oiling the bamboo now to give it time to soak in.  Something like Tru-oil or linseed.  They get brittle when they dry out.  Using it is probably a death sentence though.

-steve

foakes

Quote from: oc1 on August 27, 2019, 06:22:46 PM
Quote from: Benni3 on August 27, 2019, 05:25:14 PM
take it fishing my friend,,,,,, ;D

Are you nuts Benny.  Gary has never caught a fish small enough to land on split bamboo  :) :)

But, kidding aside, if you plan to ever use it you should start oiling the bamboo now to give it time to soak in.  Something like Tru-oil or linseed.  They get brittle when they dry out.  Using it is probably a death sentence though.

-steve

Yep, I would find an old Ocean City or an old Pflueger conventional Salt reel in about 4/0 to 6/0 size with original line — and make a Great Wall hanger for your den.

If you would like a cool 80 or 90 year old reel — I would send you some choices — then after you decide, would send it North at N/C.

I have tried to use old bamboo rods — and even after oil conditioning — either the thread wraps start to come apart under pressure — or the rod just cracks.  

It has successfully completed its mission — it's duty shift is over.

Just my opinion, Gary....

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

:) :)     That is a trolling pole 1950 ish Montague .
  It is very stiff .   I have a few that i added more guides to and fish them.
  I was out on a charter yesterday and took the old boys with me . I showed up with 3 of them in a soft gun case .
   A 5 1/2 , a 6 foot and a 8 1/2 foot .  I really enjoy fishing with them
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Tiddlerbasher

The kind of rod that was very popular with the Tunny fishers, in the North Sea out of Scarborough, back in the 30/40/50 ish - until the trawlers decimated the herring stocks. Then the the Tunny (tuna) moved to other feeding grounds. As has been said, when the rod got a 'set' in it - turn the top section 180° and carry on. Lovely old stick - I'd clean it up and hang it on the wall :)

gstours

Thanks for sharing your information and thoughts.  I am planning on making a wall art with it.  It's original and still straight.  The ferrule and guides did appear to be silver plated. 
   It's older than me.  Boy Howdy.🧜‍♂️

TRS

That type of tip is called a stirrup tip, the handle is quite similar to a Montigue, the company sold tons of rods under its own name and also manufactured them for others.  Being blessed with the position of consort to the "Queen of Catfish" I have restored several that are her arsenal.  If you decide to strip it and rewrap, Formsby's Tung oil finish is a good choice, the natural Tung oil is excellent for older grass and wood rods.
They call it fishing, not catching

Dominick

Huh?  Did I read this right?  What is a grass rod?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

According to Hoyle, Bamboo / Calcutta are of the grass family.

TRS

Oops,
My bad in the fly fishing world bamboo is often referred to as grass. If your interested in bamboo rods something to look for is obvious glue lines that appear to be dark purple/purple-brown. This color indicates the use of Penocolite glue and was considered  a much more waterproof adhesive.  Phillipson rods were made using this product and are one of the best American made grass rods.  I don't know if they made deep sea rods, I know they manufactured some split cane conventional rods. 
They call it fishing, not catching