Spooling up my new Lexa 400

Started by CooldadE, August 29, 2019, 12:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

Hey guys and gals,
I just picked up a LEXA-CC400PWR-P reel and am going to get it spooled with some 50# or 65# Power Pro Maxcuatro. Has any one had any experience with this line ? I'll prob have a local sporting store named Guns, Fishing and Other Stuff spool it up for me. They seem well set up but I always worry store guys will not spool it up with enough tension. What tension should I be looking for With 50# and 65# ? Does anyone else have this reel ? If so what line do you have on yours and what do you use it for ?

Thanks,
Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

MarkT

I have mine spooled with 50# PP.  if you use 65# MC you'll get more than it's rated for in terms of 50#.  50# MC is smaller than 30# PP so you'd get a lot of line... probably more than you'll need. Regular 50# had been fine for YT and YFT but I almost got spooled by a big Wahoo at the Thetis bank in the gray light... I managed to break it off. I think it's still heading south with my Seastrike 33.  Three other Wahoo weren't that lucky but they were delicious! I have MC on three of my other reels... those where I wanted extra capacity. I have 300 yds of 50# on my tiny BV-300 that is rated for 300yds of 30# PP, 400 yds of 65# on my Saragosa 10k and 315 yds of 80# on my TranX 500 that is rated for 280 yds of 65# PP.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

I've got the older version(no cc in the model #). Great inshore baitcaster. I've relegated it to bottom fishing on the Pac. Coast, cause of the slower gear ratio. In tropical water 6:1 works better for me as the fish are fast moving and attracted to fast prey. 50 lb. PP sounds perfect.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Brewcrafter

Cool - You kinda of hit on the crux of the matter - I just picked up a Lexa 400HD and spooled it with Izorline braid at my local Huntington Beach shop.  Your possible choice of the Max Cuatro really has more to do with how many yards you are trying to pack on the reel (that's one of the major selling points of that line is it's diameter).  Truthfully, I don't think the brand/type of braid is as important as getting it spooled properly under proper tension.  That's where it always pays to patronize/support that local guy that actually is a fisherman that you can depend on (and I don't mean the minimum wage guy at the local "Soccer and Sport" all purpose store). 

Smols

You want to spool it at 10lbs of pressure to get the braid to compress tightly on the spool. When spooled correctly, the line will be hard when you dig a fingernail into it.

Smols

biggiesmalls

On the Powerpro - I've personally had issues and I know plenty of others that have. Haven't used the Maxcuatro though, just the original.
JB is the shiznit. I think Lee (Keta) is still selling it, hit him up.

CooldadE

You all have been very helpful ... thank you ! I know this is a versatile reel, mine is 5.5:1. Not far from Gfish's magic 6:1 for southern fishing. What rods are y'all pairing these reels with ?

Cool

handi2

I only use Maxquatro on inshore spinning reels. It will cast long distance.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

MarkT

My Lexa HD 400hs-p is usually on a Phenix psw809h for throwing small poppers, stick baits, colt snipers, megabaits,  lead heads, etc.  It's 7.1:1 gears get 37.7" per crank.  The 5:1 version gets 27" per crank which is slower than I want for working lures.

Brewcrafter

Mine is a 7.1 ratio sitting on a United Composites 8.6" deckhand style rod.  It's main intent is to allow me with my limited casting skills to bomb irons a longer distance, but certainly going to a hook and lob sardines at close in Yellowtail is in the works if the situation calls for it.

CooldadE

The only jigstick I have is a Phenix PSW 909XHJ Deckhand 30-80. To much rod for the Lexa 400 ???
I've got a chance to pick up a used Super Seeker PH-LM9-9, CT 20-40 . It might be a better match for the reel. I'm a novice at this Fishery and getting together gear and book learning all I can. All the feedback is really helpful. Thanks all !

Cool

MarkT

It's not too much rod for the Lexa! I've caught a bunch of YT with my Lexa 400 on a psw909xhj including 5 one day at San Martin on a SoA 5 day! I've caught a lot with the Lexa 400 on a psw809xhj too. I have TranX 500's on those rods on my 10 days so the Lexa is on a psw809h or 869h. My first Wahoo on the Lexa was on the psw869h.

I'm taking the 909xhj with a TranX 500 to Cedros on Monday. I'm taking the 809xhj with the Lexa HD 400 for one of the other guys to throw iron with.

biggiesmalls

If you're open to a custom Seeker, hit me up. I've got a source for blanks at a good price.

CooldadE

Thanks for the offer on the blanks... I have at least 5 different blanks ready for guides so I prob won't pull the trigger on any new blanks . Though I might be enticed by a green SS PH TNT blank...
What was the issues you had with the PP line ?

Cool