Trying to date an old senator 10/0

Started by Fishingfan123, August 30, 2019, 07:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishingfan123

Hey guys as the title says I'm trying to get a date on my 10/0 reel I bought a while back ago. I'm thinking it's older than 1950's but at the same time the condition is good, clicker is extremely loud, drag is exceptionally strong, and other than some light corrosion it's mechanically perfect which makes me think maybe not. I bought the reel on eBay some time ago and just haven't ever fished it I put some line on it but it's just too much reel for me as I don't do shark fishing or anything.

Details about the reel that might help get a date on it:
It has the old really thick drag washers
Handle is dark brown and I would say football shaped
Looks like a three piece spool

Maxed Out

Nice reel. The early 10/0's are the toughest to locate in the collector world

Tough to put a year on it. One thing I notice is the low profile coin edge counterbalance. Typical coin edge cb is much taller on a 10/0.  Also notice the top harness lugs are much beefier than the forward lugs. That's usually indicative of an early 2nd gen senator
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Fishingfan123

Wow nice to know. Thanks for the info, after doing some research on my own and seeing other 2nd gen reels online it seems you're more than likely spot on.

Darin Crofton

Cool reel, I've always loved the 10/0 Senators!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

kevin cozens

On the new models its easy but not the older models.
This is my 113h special senator. it has a moulding in each side cover and it says the year and month.
In this case the specific part was made in febuary 1995.
It will be nothing unusual to see a different date on each cover but if its a few years difference one or the other may of been replaced at some time.
This method of date stamp is used on many everyday things such as cars or horticultul equipment

Crab Pot

Kevin,

Can't help you with age but that is 1 of 2 reels I need to complete my Senator Grand Slam.

Follow Englishman here, North London, but I've been in the US since I was 2 years old.

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Deepennz

Hi Fishingfan,

Thats a very nice 10/0 - well done!
I believe Ted (Maxed out) is correct in dating your reel - here's a few observatons-
1) your reel has a pinned (not drilled) spool arbor - Penn changed to the pinned arbor in late 1941 and never went back!
2)Your reel also has a large, full circle top harness lug and a smaller, half circle front lug - by 1942 Penn changed the front lug to the full circle lug, as per the top lug.
When Penn changed their Senators to the 2nd Gen configuration in early 1941 they were constantly refining them - your late 1941 10/0 is the 3rd variation produced in that one year - the earlier 2 had  drilled spool arbors.
Keep searching!!
Cheers
Martin