The "Golden Eagle" Tib/Accuplate 6/0

Started by pjstevko, August 31, 2019, 04:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I posted my quest for the missing parts on BD and someone told me to call Kens Custom Reels in Oceanside. Kens told me to call Tiburon and order the hardware kit for the TC-30 clamp with 1/4-20 posts and it would fit....

I called Tiburon and Bob said he'd found 2 clamp nuts in storage for my late 80's clamp. I told Bob that Kens said to order the newer hardware kit and it'd fit and Bob said it would not fit. I ordered the 2 older nuts as well as 2 of the newer kits so we'll see who right....

Hopefully they'll both fit and i'll have spares

pjstevko

I finally got a couple clamp nuts that fit so i'm good to go there....

Can someone recommend a good all around rod to pair this with?

I was thinking about one of these

#3 (post #4)  https://www.thehulltruth.com/fishing-miscellaneous-items-commercial-sellers-only/765326-pinnacle-marine-outfitters-catalog.html

For line i'm thinking about filling the spool 1/3 full of heavy dacron, then 100/130# braid and leave room for a 60/80# top shot...what'd ya think?

RowdyW

Dacron soaks up water, why not use heavy mono, braid top shot of 100-130# with a 80# floro leader? Or just fill the spool with 80# mono and clip on a floro leader of whatever length  is recomended by the captain when you get onboard.           Rudy

Jim Fujitani

I don't know if you are a member of Amazon Prime. 

The Pinnacle Marine rods that you had posted about look like heavy-duty, heavy-weight, short, stout, trolling rods, with metal slick and curved butts and all.  The 6/0 Penn star drag with the Tiburon upgrade can be used to cast live baits and heavy jigs, not just trolling. 

If I were in your shoes, I'd look at the Okuma PCH line of "lighter weight graphite casting" rods.  The 741XXXH model is currently offered for $165.65 + tax, for Prime members (free shipping) but limited in stock.  It is 7'4" and handles 80-130# line. 
The 741XXH handles a lighter range of line, 60-100#, but is not on sale, $207.42 + tax (for Prime members).

Just my thoughts....

pjstevko

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on November 12, 2019, 08:43:26 PM
I don't know if you are a member of Amazon Prime. 

The Pinnacle Marine rods that you had posted about look like heavy-duty, heavy-weight, short, stout, trolling rods, with metal slick and curved butts and all.  The 6/0 Penn star drag with the Tiburon upgrade can be used to cast live baits and heavy jigs, not just trolling. 

If I were in your shoes, I'd look at the Okuma PCH line of "lighter weight graphite casting" rods.  The 741XXXH model is currently offered for $165.65 + tax, for Prime members (free shipping) but limited in stock.  It is 7'4" and handles 80-130# line. 
The 741XXH handles a lighter range of line, 60-100#, but is not on sale, $207.42 + tax (for Prime members).

Just my thoughts....

I have two of the PCH rods and love them but I'm not sure if the XXXH or XXH would be appropriate for trolling....

Fishy247

Most trolling that we do on the West coast has the rod pointed straight back. There's not really ever a load on the rod, so as long as the line rating and action, etc match up nicely with the reel you should be good.

pjstevko

Quote from: Fishy247 on November 13, 2019, 12:54:45 AM
Most trolling that we do on the West coast has the rod pointed straight back. There's not really ever a load on the rod, so as long as the line rating and action, etc match up nicely with the reel you should be good.

Good point! I hadn't thought of that.....