Tiburon frame on S332-5 - gears don’t seem to mesh as well ?

Started by Fishead, September 01, 2019, 09:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead

Just put the tiburon frame on the S332-5 and it feels like the gears are grinding or not meshing like they were before the new frame. Did I miss something?
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

Newell Nut

PacRat

1) Adjust your spool side-to-side. I'm assuming you have adjustable bearings on both sides. Do this first.
2) If you did any work in your head-plate; check the drive-train. Like Dwight said...something is out of place.
Good luck
-Mike

Swami805

If adjusting the bearing cap ( I think you only have 1 ?) doesn't help,Try adding or deleting shims to move spool shaft a little.
Also try taking it apart and turn the frame so it's facing the other direction, sounds dumb but worth a try.
I'm assuming it worked fine with the stock frame
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

It's possible that the stock frame was slightly out of alignment, and now that it is squared, the gears will be noisy since they are now at a 90 deg angle. That would be my first guess given everything else being equal.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Every tib frame that I have installed on a 300 series has holes a couple thousandths out from the SS newell rings. I use a mini round file to adjust the holes in the SS rings to match the tib frame. Other than that make sure you back off the left side bearing a couple turns before reassembly. Should be no issue after that. Readjust spool space and should spin like a top.

Fishead

This reel only has left side adjustable bearing cap. I have messed with it from really tight to a lot of play with no change in gears. I did not take handle side-late apart before putting it on the frame. I did have to take a round file to the handle side plate inner ring to open up the threaded holes a little. Swapping the frame around sounds like the next thing to try. Must be something with the S series. I just put a Tib frame on my red 332 and it works fine.

Newell Nut

The S series has nothing to do with it. I have installed on Ss and Cs both with long bolts and no issue at all other than tweaking the ring holes. You will figure it out and it will be something very simple.
Dwight

Fishead

I'm thinking it's the gears are shot. I swapped the handle side plate from 2 of my 332's and those worked just fine on that reel. Probably the easiest solution is new gears.

Newell Nut

Pro Challenger had a bunch of gears. Not sure if they all got sold or not.