Tutorial and Detailed Look at The 302

Started by Gfish, September 02, 2019, 06:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smnaguwa

Great tutorial Gregg. I have an 302 from 1960's Hawaii. I damaged the drag knob screw while trying to service the drag. Is that screw often difficult to take off? Any tricks?

mo65

Quote from: festus on September 05, 2019, 07:59:56 PM
A note about this odd color metal inside the housing.  A while back in the Mitchell Reel Museum forum I read that this is either a coating or plating to prevent salt water damage.  Can't remember exactly what the plating is made from.

Thanks for adding that Chester. I was wondering what that was...hadn't seen it on the museum site yet.

Quote from: Gfish on September 13, 2019, 07:04:49 AM
Special Note: George6308, whom posted replies #1 & #9 on page 1, passed away a few days latter. Sounds like before he left us though, he got another reel(his old 302) out, serviced and up to par. Maybe his kids or grandkids will use it someday. In honor of his memory, I'm gonna unofficially name mine George(hope that's ok buddy!) and will remember him whenever I use it.

That's a nice gesture G...I'm sure George would be pleased. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Quote from: smnaguwa on September 13, 2019, 12:19:38 PM
Great tutorial Gregg. I have an 302 from 1960's Hawaii. I damaged the drag knob screw while trying to service the drag. Is that screw often difficult to take off? Any tricks?

Thanks, Mo & smnaguwa! I tried to provide enough detail for a rookie at reel service/repair to get through it, but readin/editing back through it, it seems like there's probably a confusing excess of detail. Tutorials are hard for me to do... Hope I will learn and get better.

There's a thread I started on exactly that same screw problem, located in the "mitchell section" of "spinning reel rebuild tutorials and questions". The bottom line there was: penetrating oil, heat and a dremel cutting wheel(to deepen the screw slot).

Check-out the thread, I got a-lot of good help on that issue. Anyone that services reels for themselves or especially a business, is gonna need somea this knowledge.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Quote from: smnaguwa on September 13, 2019, 12:19:38 PM

Nice tutorial, Gregg!

Hi smnaguwa --

On those drag screws -- most are salt-fused, or easily damaged if the right driver is not used the very first time the screw is ever removed -- which was likely long before you owned it.

If you post a pic of the top of the spool -- I can send you one at no charge.  There are a couple of different versions of these spool screws -- depending on vintage.

We are in SoCal for the weekend -- and not back until late Sunday -- so could send on Monday.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TRS

Thanks for the tutorial, I recently got another 302 at auction, was able to semi disassemble and get back together due to your tutorial.

This was a surprise reel, only bid 5 bucks because shipping was kinda high $10.50, but I won.  My intention was just to save it for parts, when it showed up it was better looking than the one I fish with.  The drag was auctully all there and had blue grease, when I opened the reel no signs of corrosion, was adequately greased, no dark hard gunk.  The only issue the reel had was the bail was slightly tweaked, causing a rub.

Think I'm going to start watching for upgrade part, like a PUM kit, crosswind and another side plate to double dog the reel. Is anyone aware of any other  302 more???

Thanks again for that great tutorial
They call it fishing, not catching

smnaguwa

Hi Fred, sorry for the late reply. Just read your post. I eventually got the screw off and greased the threads well for the next servicing. Thanks for your generosity.We need more people in this world like you.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 03, 2019, 04:19:14 PM
Put a 303 side plate on and support the main on both sides.

How does this work? The main only has a post on one side. Is there a different gear around?

mo65

I was also wondering about the crosswind modification...has anyone tried it? It is supposed to make braid wind on better. On my reel the standard planamatic set up laid the braid on very nice...nicer than most reels I have. :-\

mo65

Reading this tutorial before diving into my 302 was a wise decision...for a reel so large it sure has it's share of tiny parts. Here are a few observations. That pinion key circled in yellow can disappear easily, use caution. The 302 bearing(on the left) in the second photo is dwarfed by the South Bend 960's bearing, although it is a very good quality bearing. The bearing retainer on the 302 is a small affair too, and those c-locks on the axle can fly better than a Squidder's dog spring!

mo65

I modified the drag stack on my 302 as well, and it is sort of a cross between Keith and Greg's set ups. I managed to squeeze a 3-stack of carbon fiber in there while keeping the drag clicker. The first pic shows the original stack...with red arrows indicating the two discarded pieces. The next photo has blue arrows indicating where to add the carbon fiber washers. My reel came with a box, not the best box, but a box none the less. It will probably live on the shelf...unless I blow up that 306! 8)

handi2

The Mitchell reels are all we had available when I fished the Pensacola Gulf fishing pier. I cut my teeth working on Mitchell reels. I was 14 at that time. They are still used today on the piers for King Mackerel. The 300's were the bait reel and Spanish Mackerel reel.

I used them on the piers until I got a boat in my 30's.

I use 5 6-155's in the spool after removing the clicker washers.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bill B

Greta tutorial brother.....question...I'm working on a 402.  It was a basket case that came in a lot I just picked up.  Those this spinal shaft come apart? If so how did you get yours apart?  Also do I need to take it apart to reassemble?  The reel basically fell apart during disassembly, and the rotor nut was already loose.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bill B

Please disregard my previous post, but have a new question.....where does this part go?  Found it in the bottom of the degreasing pan......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

Ok, Bill, did you get that spindle to unscrew off the spool-shaft, then maybe back on?
That mystery part is a shim for the silver colored, "H" shaped unit that supports the bottom of the spool shaft. As
I recall, it goes on one side, or the other, with the short-bent ends facing inward.
On post reply #18, you can see it next to the H part("axel guide").
Odd these Mitchell's,  coming from the factory with shims already installed. Maybe a way the increase tolerances and smooth-out things...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!