DAM Quicks — Labor Day 2019

Started by foakes, September 02, 2019, 09:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Got up to 94 degrees here today — nice and cool in the upstairs shop though.

Did a DAM Quick 110N this morning — full disassemble, cleaning, service, replaced a busted spool.

Then did an unused 330N from about '84 — had line on it — but obviously never fished or on a rod.

Grease was as hard as dried beeswax — wouldn't crank hardly at all.

Disassembled, evacuated, and cleaned all of the factory grease out.  Reassembled, modern lubes.

Then the same fellow had an old 330 from around '67 — pretty rough, and the foot had been cracked which necessitated a frame change-out.  A few parts missing, and needed a new bail spring.

After a complete restoration — good as new.

These 330's and 330N's are as tough as spinners come — great reel for Steelhead, Salmon, larger Lake Trout, large Carp, Stripers, and large Cats.

This afternoon I will tackle a box of (4) Quicks — a couple of 220's & a couple of 248's.  All need completes from the ground up.

Then there are some new builds to start on tomorrow.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Great job, Fred.

That 330N looks as if it just came off the assembly line.

Shark Hunter

Nice screen printing on those bags Fred. Classy! ;)
Life is Good!

mo65

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 03, 2019, 05:47:03 AM
Nice screen printing on those bags Fred. Classy! ;)

I love those reel bags! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

MitchelGarcia

Wow Fred! Beautiful shop! Nice job on those lovely Quick reels. Makes me feel rather amateurish, but I'll get over it. Lol

foakes

13 more heading down to the Post Office.

These were all mostly rough eBay and yard sale reels (one was decent) -- the 331 High Speed and Green Junior 240 would not even crank or rotate.

Now each is good for another 50 years of companionship on the water.  Smooth, quiet, attractive -- but most of all, capable.

With the amount of new parts I now have -- these now consist of approximately 50% new parts at no extra charge.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

xjchad

Amazing, beautiful work Fred!

You definitely set the bar exceeding high for the rest of us!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

festus

Quote from: foakes on October 29, 2019, 09:42:00 PM
13 more heading down to the Post Office.

These were all mostly rough eBay and yard sale reels (one was decent) -- the 331 High Speed and Green Junior 240 would not even crank or rotate.

Now each is good for another 50 years of companionship on the water.  Smooth, quiet, attractive -- but most of all, capable.

With the amount of new parts I now have -- these now consist of approximately 50% new parts at no extra charge.

Best, Fred
Nice collection there for some proud owner.

Fred, have you ever restored one of the wine-red Junior DAM Quicks?  Those are scarce, at least the cosmetically nice ones here in The States.  If they're listed on ebay, seems they're always across The Pond and many times won't even ship here. They can be found here but the seller is usually asking 35 or 40 bucks for some rough looking specimens.

I have one of the green export 245D, black handle knob, glued on decal with the push button spool.  Really too rough for my liking to rebuild, but it has some acceptable innards.

If I'm not mistaken there may have been some wine-red Finessa models also.

foakes

Yes, I have done quite a few of those over the years, Chester --

Mostly for folks in Europe though, some here in the States.

Here are a few parts just for Juniors from the upstairs shop -- there are at least twice as many parts in the outer shop.

Even have a couple of black Herter's reels -- which is the 245 rebadged with a bright metal riveted plate that reads --

"HERTERS 109".  These were imported and sold through Herters, here in the US & Canada -- in the late 60's and early 70's.

These are a well made, unique reel -- along with the grey and green 238's, and the larger black 248.

I have never handled a maroon Finessa -- I understood from some of the original engineers in Germany who I would supply some hard to source parts for, years ago (they have all passed on now, except maybe one gentleman) -- that the maroon Finessas were only offered in the European market.  It is the same reel as a US Finessa -- just paint color difference.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.