Graeme Takapart

Started by basto, September 04, 2019, 03:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi Everyone
Would anyone have a photo of the drag washer sequence of a Graeme Takapart conventional reel. Or even a schematic of any kind for this reel?
This reel was made in Australia in 1949.
regards
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Gfish

Interesting. Never heard of it. Pictures possible?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

basto

Photos are very poor, as I am away from home at present. I will take photos of everything when I pull it apart.
It has a threaded ring on each end of the reel that holds the end plates in position, making it possible to rotate the end plates 360 degrees and also making a very strong frame.
cheers
Greg

xjchad

Greg,
That is a very interesting looking reel!
I can't wait to see what it looks like as you take it apart!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

basto

Yes, not bad engineering for 1949. The only plastic on it is the handgrip.
The side plates are anodised aluminium.
You could do a very quick spool change from either end of the reel.
Greg

oc1

Interesting; that one Greg. A later-day tube reel with a star drag.  Tube reels usually have excellent alignment because of the one piece frame. I wonder if they died out because there is so much cutting waste?  The frame really did start out as a piece of tubing.
-steve

basto

Yes Steve. There is very little gap between the frame and spool. I think the material waste would be well worth the advantages gained in strength and precise alignment.
Greg

ps....what era were tube reels you mention?

oc1

Quote from: basto on September 05, 2019, 06:16:40 AM
what era were tube reels you mention?
The Meisselbach Tripart and Meisselbach Takeapart were about 1910 to 1930.  The Horton Simplex and B.F. Meek & Sons Blue Grass reels were about 1920 to 1940.  All can be found at auction today, especially the Tripart.  

In their day, the early tube reels were a little less expensive than the post-type frames.  But, they're almost bullet proof and still cast really well considering the  heavy brass spool.

Their Achilles heel is having a screw-on side plate become frozen in place.  It is very fine thread and does not take much corrosion or debris to seize it.  The Horton Simplex (and maybe some of the others too) have reverse thread on the tail plate so the spinning spool can not vibrate the tail plate loose.  But if someone didn't know it was revere thread and used a lot of force trying to unscrew it in the wrong direction it could become frozen in place forever.

-steve

p.s.  I wonder why one of the star points on your Graeme has that bulbous tip?

Crow

I think you're seeing the handle counterweight, Steve.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

basto

Yes Steve, that is the handle counter weight.
Thanks for the info about the other tube reels. I will have to look them up.
Greg

basto

Well, she's no beauty queen, but except for making a new drag, everything else seems to be working.

The drag is not all there. I found one metal washer and a broken fibre washer and a rusty steel spring.
Some work to do there and if anyone has any ideas about the drag, they are very welcome.
One thing to note is that the gear sleeve is round all the way. No keyway.

A few pics of the eccentric setup.

thanks for waiting
Greg

oc1

A sophisticated Koph clutch.  Very sophisticated.

Is the main gear, ratchet and the thing that looks like a gear sleeve all one solid piece?  Or, does the gear spin on the sleeve?

-steve

basto

Hi Steve
The sleeve and ratchet spin together ,but the gear spins separately from them.
Greg

oc1

Quote from: basto on September 09, 2019, 09:39:55 AM
Hi Steve
Greg
So, when the star is tightened it would have to compress the sleeve/ratchet against the main gear somehow?  That's a real puzzle.
-steve

basto

Quote from: oc1 on September 09, 2019, 12:27:44 PM
Quote from: basto on September 09, 2019, 09:39:55 AM
Hi Steve
Greg
So, when the star is tightened it would have to compress the sleeve/ratchet against the main gear somehow?  That's a real puzzle.
-steve

Yes, that is correct and there is a lip that is part of the gear that has some type of hard washer sitting between the ratchet and the lip.
But I cannot see any pin that would enable taking these pieces apart.
Greg