Graeme Takapart

Started by basto, September 04, 2019, 03:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

I just noticed a slot in the top of the ratchet. Can't see how these parts come apart though.
Greg

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Crow

Looks like, maybe, a "keyway"....probably a pin, or some other sort of "key, further down on the sleeve. Try "working" the ratchet with a couple thin screwdivers ...knife blads...whatever will get between it, and the gear....one on each side,...with a little penetrating oil...it should loosen up, and start to move "up" the sleeve. The "drag" (friction)washer will be under it, and on top of the gear.....apparently, the spring and washer that was on top of the ratchet,is "transfering" the pressure from the star, to the "ratchet", which pushes the friction washer against the gear.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

basto

Thanks for your help Crow. I will see what I can do.
Greg

oc1

Quote from: Crow on September 09, 2019, 09:09:54 PM
Looks like, maybe, a "keyway"....probably a pin, or some other sort of "key, further down on the sleeve. Try "working" the ratchet with a couple thin screwdivers ...knife blads...whatever will get between it, and the gear....one on each side,...with a little penetrating oil...it should loosen up, and start to move "up" the sleeve. The "drag" (friction)washer will be under it, and on top of the gear.....apparently, the spring and washer that was on top of the ratchet,is "transfering" the pressure from the star, to the "ratchet", which pushes the friction washer against the gear.
Smart thinking.  That has to be it.  There is a sizable gap between ratchet and main gear.
-steve

basto

You know guys, this little reel pulls about 5 lbs of drag, which is all it was probably designed to pull, so I am just going to replace the fibre washer and put the rest back, after a good clean, how it was originally.
I am not going to fish it, so it will remain in fairly good condition after a thorough lubrication.

Thanks guys for your help. I am learning all the time.
cheers
Greg

basto

Just can't leave it alone. My curiosity has got the better of me.
So the ratchet is getting separated from the main gear.

The washer between the gear and ratchet is quite hard and is split near the pin on the sleeve.
I think the split in this drag washer is to enable getting it past the pin on the sleeve.

There is also a drag washer under the main gear which also is very hard.

Well, that is what the drag looks like.
cheers
Greg

oc1

So, what are you going to use to replace the washers?  Delrin would be smooth and last forever and nobody would ever have to do it again?  Carbon fiber would give you better stopping power?  I wonder what would be period appropriate?  Leather or felt?  When were "fiber" washers invented anyway and what were they made of?

-steve?

basto

Hi Steve
Decisions, decisions. From what you said, delrin sounds very attractive, but I do have some 1mm carbontex. hmmmmmm
Greg