alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Panga Hull - for custom build
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
September 15, 2019, 04:16:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Panga Hull - for custom build  (Read 139 times)
Gobi King
Firearms Group

« on: September 06, 2019, 07:23:38 AM »

Greetings from West MI.

I took a hard look at my bank account and my plans to buy a used worldcat has to be put on hold for a while. But I have been wanting something 22 ft or bigger to fish and motor around the great lakes.

I found Memsa Panga hulls and pangamarine boats, both I can buy a bare hull and finish it myself.

Memsa -
pros - cheaper, the 26 ft one looks fantastic.
cons - wood in transom

Pangamarine -
pros - no wood, 22 ft is reasonable
cons - 26 is very expensive

setup - conter console with a bench
power - 75 to 110 hp

Anyone has any experience in this they want to share please?

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan
SoCalAngler
SoCalAngler
Photo Group

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 12:18:35 PM »

Have you fished in a panga style hulled boat?

I don't know the type of water conditions you fish in, but they can be very bumpy to teeth rattling in smaller types of waves/wind chop.

I have fished in them many times in Baja and like them but with their flatter bottom style design for beach launching and such they do ride a bit ruff at times. You need to slow down, sometimes way down or get beat to death. That's not too bad if you don't a long ways to travel but if you do then it could take you much longer to get to where you want to go.

If you have fished in panga's and know what their like and you think it would work for you then go for it. If not you may want to ride in one in different wave conditions so you know what your getting into before you pull the trigger.

Now what size to get will depend on how many will fish on it. For our Baja style fishing a 22' boat will fish 3 great and 4 in a pinch with all our gear. My late father had a 21 foot center console and we did fish 4 often but one guy usually ran the boat as the others fished. Then we would change who fished and who drove. Don't get me wrong many times we had 4 hooked up at one time but it could turn ugly at any time with tangles and such.

The 26' would do 4 great and 5 again in a pinch, again for our style. In the great lakes you are not dealing with the same type of fishing but seating gear storage and such I would not go over 5 in the 26'.

My fathers boat was a Triumph 21' center console that he ran a 110 hp 4 stroke from. This boat had a more V'ed shape bottom toward the stern and let us run faster in the wind chop/small waves with a close interval than the panga's could run. In flat or larger waves we ran about the same speed as the panga's
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 12:34:41 PM by SoCalAngler » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: