coho at Icy Bay Lodge, AK

Started by ksong, September 07, 2019, 06:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksong

I am in Newark Airport heading for Icy Bay Lodge, AK for coho with fly rods and spinning rods.

I  am bringing three new light 8'6", 9' and 9'6" Black Hole spinning rods to test them for coho.

Weather looks fine and coho are there.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

Suzuki fly rod,,,,,, :D get the big one,,,,,, ;D

steelhead_killer

What size spinning reels for those rods?
><)))">

ksong

I tried to get IRT 200 reel, but they couldn't make prototype reel in time. I am going to use iRT 300 reel. The reel size is about Stella 3000. I bring IRT fly reel, but it is a little big.

ksong

In retrospect, coho salmon fishing on spinning rod and fly rod are very enjoyable and fun in relaxed atmosphere.
The Icy Bay Lodge is top class lodge and provides everything with excellent guides, food and lodging.
The lodge is located in remote areas off Yakutat, AK.
So only quests of the lodge can fish there.
Sometimes, I was fishing alone. The only concern was bear and I carried bear spray.
As the water level of the rivers was low, we fished from beaches protected in the bay. Actually I prefer to fish from the beaches for fresh coho. There were lots of salmon and I could catch 50 plus salmon every day.

The choice of lure was Blue Fox Vibrax #4. It weighs only 8 oz, but I could cast pretty good using prototype Black Hole light rods.
I am pretty new to fly fishing. But coho were everywhere and I could catch 29 coho on fly rod on the last day.
Now, I want to try steelhead on fly rod out of Yakuta in the next spring.

Crow

Sounds like you had a great time !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

ksong

pictures.

Benni3

Looks like a fantastic trip,,,,,, :D and some big fish too,,,,,,, ;D

ksong

more pictures

ksong

more pictures

ksong

more pictures

David Hall

Looks like a great time,  how did you like the rod and reel selections?

ksong

I used prototype 9'6'. 9' and 8'6" Black Hole light rods.  I thought they are weak for coho, but they were not.
I will post video of fighting coho with the rods.
I also used IRT 300 reel. The reel is solid and drag is superb.
I did not bring fly rod and reel and used lodge's rod and reel.

ksong

The background is Saint Elias which is the second tallest mountain in Alaska.
We were very fortunate to see the full view of the mountain as it is rare.