Behemoth Beef Ribs

Started by ChileRelleno, September 08, 2019, 04:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

So I've had a hankering for some beef short ribs.
I called around looking for some and no joy at the usual places.
Ran around looking and finally found some at Sam's Club.
Sam's had thin cut Korean style short ribs and I asked the clerk if he had whole uncut racks.
"Sure" he said. "How many you want?".
I took one cryo-vac bag which is two racks, when he brought it out I about fainted.
Not only was the price per pound way better than what he quoted me, but the racks...
The racks would've made Fred Flintstone smile.

I seriously think these are Plate, Short ribs as they're three bone racks, the bones shape/length and the fat content of the meat.
Holy cow are these things huge and thick, meaty, fatty and damned delicious!

The Menu
Behemoth Beef Ribs
Salt Crusted Potatoes
Grilled Veggies

The Ribs
I trimmed them, rubbed with SPOG and let them brine for a bit while I fired up the smoker.
Some mesquite and hickory and settled in at about 280°-290°, put the ribs on and thought about the rest of dinner.

Salt Crusted Potatoes
2.5lbs New Potatoes
1/4C Sea salt
Fresh Rosemary

In a large, deep skillet place potatoes in a single layer and just cover with water.
Add the salt and rosemary, bring to a fast boil and continue till all the water is evaporated.
This will leave the potatoes covered in a crust of salt.

Grilled Veggies
An assortment of Yellow Squash, Bell peppers and Sweet onions seasoned with Lawry's seasoned salt and infused fresh rosemary.
Grilled till just tender.

The Money and the Mug Shots

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

jon_elc

ChileRelleno

Quote from: jon_elc on September 08, 2019, 05:31:32 AM
those look awesome!!!
Like brisket on a stick, beef butter, fantastic.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Crow

Tell me it isn't wrong to be craving ribs for breakfast!!  Those look great !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Crow on September 08, 2019, 12:12:26 PM
Nope, I can't tell ya that... I plan on rib meat and eggs for breakfast.
Ragnar Benson:

conchydong

Those look awesome. I like brisket but always preferred meat on the bone and they look like they are way better than brisket.
Thanks for sharing and inspiring many of us to try some of the recipes that you so kindly share.

Scott

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Crow on September 08, 2019, 12:12:26 PM
Machacado and Papas

Ragnar Benson:

Big Tim

I'm so glad you did this recipe. I have a #10 single rack of ribs "Dino Ribs" and was wondering how to cook them  ;D

Tim

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Big Tim on September 13, 2019, 10:33:02 PM
I'm so glad you did this recipe. I have a #10 single rack of ribs "Dino Ribs" and was wondering how to cook them  ;D

Tim
You can drop by here and I'll cook'em up for us ::)
Ragnar Benson:

Hardy Boy

Damm those ribs look good !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Brewcrafter

Chile - Thanks!  Love your recipes you really know how to throw a spread!!!!!  Keep them coming!