Baymaster 180 Eccentric Spring Size?

Started by nelz, September 09, 2019, 01:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Picked up a really funky ol' 180 and all it needs to resurrect it is a good clean and an eccentric spring. However, Mystic claims the same size spring will work for many reels right up to a 113H. Won't that be a bit too heavy for a small reel like this?

Will post pics once it's restored.  ;D

JoseCuervo

I'd just be inclined to trust Mystic that it works. It might be tight. I have used replacements E springs before.

;)

Your reel might act similarly to ones indicated in this note for part 20-113H2:

REPLACES ORIGINAL NUMBER 20-155 ON SOME REELS

NOTE on the Squidders (140, 145, 146)
Tested the 20-113H2 spring with the extra loop in the coil on both an older 1-140 plate and the newer 1N-140 side plates.
It does work, but it's tighter - it has a bit of a hitch in the lever as the round part of the spring gets up into that little curve in the plate that it rotates in, going into free spool.

foakes

If you get a 20-155 -- it will work perfectly, as Mystic sez.

The spring is used on at least 14 reels that I know of -- up to 113's, not the H2's.

Mystic should have plenty of these -- if not, let me know & I will send one out.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nelz

Quote from: JoseCuervo on September 09, 2019, 01:49:09 AMIt does work, but it's tighter - it has a bit of a hitch in the lever as the round part of the spring gets up into that little curve in the plate that it rotates in, going into free spool.

You see, that's exactly my concern because the previous owner used an over-sized spring and it caused a chip right around where the spring fits into the sideplate. There is still a bit of the pinhole left, but I don't want to push it too much.