PG 255 gear sleeves

Started by FliedLice, September 09, 2019, 06:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FliedLice

Hi, Im planning to upgrade the gear sleeves on my 255, are they the fine thread sleeves or coarse thread ones?

Thanks
Glen

alantani

There are fine thread afternarket Penn gear sleeves. They should be available from mysticparts.com or Cortez conversions. I gave up on them.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

Quote from: alantani on September 09, 2019, 07:52:28 PM
There are fine thread afternarket Penn gear sleeves. They should be available from mysticparts.com or Cortez conversions. I gave up on them.

Gave up on the 255? Why? 

Ron Jones

Alan isn't selling sleeves anymore. You can get them from mystic or Tom.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

swill88

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 10, 2019, 04:01:45 AM
Alan isn't selling sleeves anymore. You can get them from mystic or Tom.
The Man

Thanks, Ron.   Gave up on the sleeves; not the PG255.
Steve.

mrwilson99

Dr. Tani never gives up on a reel, but he will give up on parts  :P
David

Sith Lord

Hey guys. I'm changing sleeves also (pro challenger). Do I need to buy the fine or the course thread? Thanks for your input. 8)

Swami805

Get the one to match your drag star, would depend on what's on the reel   I'm thinking pro gear would use coarse thread like the jig master 500 guts they used. Not sure about that though
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alto Mare

A while back I tried to replace the custom ss sleeve on the ProGear snd wouldn't work.
The ProGear post on the bridge is not the same as Penn, if I remember correctly, the grove for the pin didn't line up.

I'm nit sure this is still the case today... good luck!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Sith Lord

I was under the impression that the internals were actually Penn parts. Outside of the sanding/filing that is sometimes required on the pin have there been other issues?

Swami805

Check and see if the bridge is numbered the same as a 500 bridge   If it is it should work
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alto Mare

Pro Gear had their own bridge at one time, but as mentioned above, if it is a Penn bridge you will not have any issues.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

day0ne

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 09, 2020, 06:09:36 PM
A while back I tried to replace the custom ss sleeve on the ProGear snd wouldn't work.
The ProGear post on the bridge is not the same as Penn, if I remember correctly, the grove for the pin didn't line up.

I'm nit sure this is still the case today... good luck!

Sal

It's actually the base of the sleeve shaft that is different.  The Pro Gear is tapered and the Penn is square, causing the slot misalignment and subsequent lock up. You can file the slot but it is much easier to swap the bridge for a Penn bridge. As stated above, you may be lucky and already have a Penn bridge.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Sith Lord

The fine thread worked perfect. No fitment issues with the pin. Direct swap.  8)