Alex Customs rods, What's coming off the Lathe !

Started by steelfish, September 09, 2019, 07:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Those signature rods will be worth a fortune some day.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on September 10, 2019, 05:38:48 AM
Those signature rods will be worth a fortune some day.
-steve
LOL, not that was funny but thanks Steve, I really like the way to build your bamboo rods and put them on good use, want me to experiment with that too but not much bamboo or pole plants to chose on the Baja Desert other than a big cactus LOL

Quote from: droppedit on September 09, 2019, 11:55:01 PM
Nice job on the finish! I'd say you have it down to a science and I love how there is no build-up around the guide feet. Your workmanship is professional and I'm with Alan, you need your own board.
Dave

thanks for the kind words, I have something against those big bulky epoxy build-up on the guide feet on some rods, time will tell if the epoxy I put on the feet tunnels is enough to protect on the long run.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on September 09, 2019, 08:06:07 PM
Let me know when you are ready for your own board!

thanks Alan for the Board.

I will try to show what an amateur guy can do on rod building  :P ;)

The Baja Guy

xjchad

Wowzers!!  Amazing work Alex!  :o
Husband, Father, Fisherman

alantani

always glad to help out a friend!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

Great work compadre! your own board means your wife has to let you set up that thread carriage on the kitchen table :)

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on September 11, 2019, 05:52:59 PM
Great work compadre! your own board means your wife has to let you set up that thread carriage on the kitchen table :)

oh-oh
well, that thread carriage is really nice so, it would look cool on the kitchen... mhh maybe not  :-\
The Baja Guy

steelfish

this wasnt a full rebuild so, I wont be opening a new thread, I just changed some broken guides on a stock Eglass seeker "mexican edition" factory built, pretty cool to see this edition factory build.
anyway, just installed some new chrome boat guides, the guy wanted to keep the rod with the original guides and wraping job, so I didnt touched any of the guides that werent broken.
The Baja Guy

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Newell Nut

That was a really nice repair job Alex. Nice and clean looking.

Dwight

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

thanks amigos,  this is getting a little bit outta hand.  :o :o

I need more hands, more space and more time   ;D ;D
The Baja Guy

oc1

Quote from: steelfish on October 11, 2019, 12:46:29 AM
I need more hands, more space and more time   ;D ;D
That's a good problem to have Alex.  Really nice work.
-steve

Rivverrat

Quote from: steelfish on September 11, 2019, 04:33:42 PM
Quote from: alantani on September 09, 2019, 08:06:07 PM
Let me know when you are ready for your own board!

thanks Alan for the Board.

I will try to show what an amateur guy can do on rod building  :P ;)

Alex, your work has shown improvement in a very short time & keeps improving. It matters not that we are both are amatuer rod builders.  It matters most that you enjoy it. I've seen cases ( No one here )  where a pro who has been building for many years, but failed to get the guide lay out right. Leaving the rod to not load like it should. One can feel the difference of a rod that loads like it should.

I've seen stated, pro fly rod builders been at it for many years. Receiving $800 - $1500 for their builds but refer to the spine of the rod blank as a spline & not spine. A small thing to be sure but what else is this pro missing or not understand ? There is much more to a custom rod than fancy thread or working wood & metal... Jeff