Shakespeare Ocean Prince 2226

Started by sharkman, October 31, 2019, 10:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Trying to decide leave as is or clean up. What do y'all think.

oc1

It took many years of maturing to look like that.  And you are thinking about wiping it all away?
-steve

sharkman

When I first seen the reel in the lot of reels I bought, I thought clean it up. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Right now it is on a shelf as is. The funny thing as bad as it looks it functions. I can't find a lot of information on the reel. The 2223 seems to be more common. The only thing I read somewhere is it is from the 30's.

Crow

Tough question !  I normally want the reels I "do"to be in "fishable condition"....lubed, repaired if needed,...and "clean" (that doesn't always mean "polished"!)......but, the way the spool arbor looks on that one, even "cleaning" is going to cause more damage, so ......I'm sayin' if ever there was one to "leave alone"...it's this one.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Donnyboat

I think, if I was to leave it as is, I would gentally dismantle it, & clean up the inside, so you contain the vertigus & patarna, in there, also a little lube while your in there, Nice find, love it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

wfjord

I agree; I'd give it a gentle wipe down to remove the dirt and show off the patina better.  Then clean and lube the internals just enough to give it the kiss of life.